Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
05 Honda CMX250C | 93 Kawi VN750
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

For a good while now, I've wanted to swap my Rebel's spoked rims for alloy wheels, but I haven't found a suitable direct replacement. I've found similar cast wheels that would fit the axle, but they're a slightly thinner. I'd hoped to save a few bucks on tires that'd fit those wheels, since my current tires are fairly new. Also, the front wheels that would fit are cast for dual discs, so that poses the question... Do I also add another caliper (not that the Rebel needs it), or fab some sort of hub cap?

Anyone know of more compatible wheels? I suppose I could embrace the jank and roll with the smaller width wheels. Or really go crazy with different diameter wheels. If that's the case, I suppose I'll have some ~3 month old tires if anyone's interested in Pirellis. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
The Regal Raptor (Chinese Rebel first generation knockoff) alloy wheels are a direct fit for first generation bikes. To put them on a second generation 250, you'll need to get a first generation set of forks as the rotor is on the right side. Unfortunately, the bike, and subsequently the rims, are no longer in production. They do show up from time to time, but not often. You can do a forum search for Regal Raptor and alloy wheels for more info.

Edit: You do need to add a washer on the rear axle to keep the rear brake from binding.

·
Premium Member
On 2 wheels: 1998 - Rebel 250, 1980 - CB125, 1982 - CM125, 1980 - CM200, 1987 - Yamaha FZ750
67 Posts
With Regal Raptor wheels

·
Registered
1985 CMX 250C, 1982 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly.
30 Posts
Hello, I've been wanting to do the same thing. But, I'm concerned if the weight rating on these is better or worse than the original spoked rims. I really like the look of these. I can't find them anywhere on the web. Where would someone be able to purchase these? I have an 85 Rebel so according to all that I can find, it should be a simple part for part swap.
Is this correct?

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
It should be a direct swap, with the possible exception that you may need to add a washer to the axle inside the rear brake. I did it on a second generation Rebel, where the washer is required, but not sure if it would be needed on 1st gen. I don't know what the weight rating on the rims is, but would think it would be equal to or greater than spoked rims. As for where to find them, see if these guys have some: (20+) all american sales & cycles - Search Results | Facebook

Looks like these guys may have them. Johnny Pag Parts Store – Johnny Pag Parts Online

If you find some, please let us know where you got them.

·
Premium Member
On 2 wheels: 1998 - Rebel 250, 1980 - CB125, 1982 - CM125, 1980 - CM200, 1987 - Yamaha FZ750
67 Posts
The Raptor wheel is within 0,5kg from the stock (half a pound). Have forgotten if I measured with or without tyres on...

·
Registered
1985 CMX 250C, 1982 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly.
30 Posts
The Raptor wheel is within 0,5kg from the stock (half a pound). Have forgotten if I measured with or without tyres on...
Thanks to both flitecontrol & Cobra2 for the replies. Checked both sites...No Joy :(

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
Good find, Cobra2! There's one Regal Raptor front wheel off a 125 model. Not sure if it's the same as the one on my 250, but looks identical, and takes the same size tire. They will ship world wide according to ad. AJS REGAL RAPTOR 2005 125ajs dd 125 e front wheel with a good tire | eBay

Looks like the AJS Regal-Raptor DD125 MK2 2010 model year, which has different alloy rims, may also fit. Apparently, this was the only year the rear wheel came with a drum brake. 2010 AJS Regal-Raptor DD125 MK2 specifications and pictures (bikez.com)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good find, Cobra2! There's one Regal Raptor front wheel off a 125 model. Not sure if it's the same as the one on my 250, but looks identical, and takes the same size tire. They will ship world wide according to ad. AJS REGAL RAPTOR 2005 125ajs dd 125 e front wheel with a good tire | eBay

Looks like the AJS Regal-Raptor DD125 MK2 2010 model year, which has different alloy rims, may also fit. Apparently, this was the only year the rear wheel came with a drum brake. 2010 AJS Regal-Raptor DD125 MK2 specifications and pictures (bikez.com)
Thanks for searching. I'm mostly concerned with the rear wheel due to the weight of my mods & riding 2 up most of the time.
I've broken spokes before because I didn't realize the weight & hit unexpectedly rough road conditions. Alloy rims I'd expect to alleviate this issue. Although, having both would be best for looks.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
125 = 250 in Regal & Rebel
My Rebel also came with broken spokes when bought...( a common theme...) but it was mostly my allergic reaction to inner-tubes that made me look for better wheels. (In the automotive world, they quit using inner-tubes when radial-tires became the norm)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts