Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any mods or aftemarket seats that will make the seating more comfortable. Anyone have the Corbin seat? Its steep, but it looks pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
I've read that the Corbin is very comfortable after it's broken in, but of course no seat is right for everyone. I'm customizing an old Rebel seat with new foam over the original padding, and the tailbone plate removed. I expect to have it finished soon.

·
Super Moderator
30,024 Posts
This guy is good, fast, and relatively inexpensive http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php according to a guy who had his stock seat redone. Cost $75 for his Vulcan 750 seat and he got it back one week from the day he shipped. Check out his website.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does anyone know of any mods or aftemarket seats that will make the seating more comfortable. Anyone have the Corbin seat? Its steep, but it looks pretty comfortable.
I guess the definition of steep is a matter of opinion. I've had my Corbin seat almost a month now, and the increase in comfort I've gotten from it would be a bargain at twice its price. I could never go back.

Based on information read elsewhere, I chose to order the rear seat bracket from Honda (about $18 from Bike Bandit), and you'll need a 12 MM box wrench if you don't already have one — not enough room for a socket wrench.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ordered a set of seats from japan off ebay for about 65$ with a slight amout of modding I got them to fit. Mainly ovaling out the hole for the seat mounts and they are a whole lot more comfy then the stock ones.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I ordered a set of seats from japan off ebay for about 65$ with a slight amout of modding I got them to fit. Mainly ovaling out the hole for the seat mounts and they are a whole lot more comfy then the stock ones.
That's interesting, I'd be interested to see which seats you got. Hey, if it works it works!

I went with the Corbin and, while it wasn't immediately 'perfect', I have really been happy with it. I hopped on the bike today after not riding for a few days, and I was very happy with the feel now. A little more break-in time and I think this will work out just fine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Comfortable Seat

Has anybody had a Rebel seat modified by the person at "GreatDayTO Ride.com"? I believe flitecontrol mentioned someone had a Vulcan seat modified, but has anyone had a stock Rebel seat modified? Prices seem to be very good but I haven't heard of any Rebel riders having there seats modified here.

--Kruzer--

·
Super Moderator
30,024 Posts
Has anybody had a Rebel seat modified by the person at "GreatDayTO Ride.com"? I believe flitecontrol mentioned someone had a Vulcan seat modified, but has anyone had a stock Rebel seat modified? Prices seem to be very good but I haven't heard of any Rebel riders having there seats modified here.

--Kruzer--
He does a lot of seats. Drop him a line and ask if he's done any Rebels and can give you references specific to them. Nothing beats talking to someone who's had it done. That said, I,ve heard a few folks say they liked their stock seat as well as a Corbin. Everyone's rear end needs are different!

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
What makes and models do you work on: Just about any stock seat can be improved. If you can describe your problem areas, together we can form a plan to make the seat right for you.
I've heard they do good work on Rebel's. Go visit thier website, shoot them an email http://greatdaytoride.com

·
Banned
2,279 Posts
I happen to think the stock Vulcan 750 seat is the most comfortable seat of any motorcycle I've ever had, including a couple of early '80s Goldwings. I can ride on it all day with no pain at all. It does help considerably to change from the rider pegs to the passenger pegs once in a while to prevent leg cramps.

A Corbin seat is more comfortable than a stock seat in most cases, but the price is ridiculous. I admit I did put a Corbin seat on my new '09 Ninja 500, and along with foam grips and GenMar handlebar risers, it made the bike a LOT more comfortable. I can have my sportbike and ride it without serious pain.

As far as the Rebel, make sure the problem is actually with the seat. The Rebel seat is not the most comfortable seat in the world (that would be the stock Vulcan 750 seat), but many people condemn the seat when most of the problem is actually with the pegs. For some reason, Honda chose to put the pegs way too far back for your average sized person (I'm 6' with a 34" inseam), and there is simply no place to put your legs. Your legs get all bent up between the seat and the pegs, which not only causes leg pain, but changes your position on the seat from what it should be. I found that simply moving the pegs 4" farther forward completely solved the problem. The seat still does not compare to the Vulcan 750, but I never expected it to. I can ride all day on it though, with just a few short breaks, like stopping for gas and food, with very little pain.

If you mostly ride on short trips or around town, your best bet would be to fabricate brackets to relocate the pegs, shifter, and rear brake a few inches forward, which is what I did. There are various ways of doing this, several people here have done it, and everybody did theirs slightly differently. If you mostly ride on the highway where you don't use the shifter and brake much, you could probably get away with just using highway pegs (don't get the motormount ones from MC Enterprises though, unless you can figure out a way to weld them on, they will not work). You want the highway pegs to be forward of the stock pegs, but not much higher. If they are 10" higher, they will b e worse than the stock pegs. Once you get the pegs moved out front a bit, your position on the seat will change too, and it will feel a lot more comfortable. Jerry.

·
Registered
126 Posts
^^ Hey Shack, I think the price of the Corbin seat being too high is up for debate, but I would be interested in knowing if you have found a way to get that Vulcan 750 seat to fit on the VLX. You said on the VLX site that you thought the OEM seat for that bike was good, but I'm wondering if you think there's something better for it. A lot of Rebel riders really like those gel packs & I might investigate these for the VLX.

As for the foot pegs on the Rebel, at 5'8" I like them just where they are & might find the pegs on other bikes a little too forward.

·
Banned
2,279 Posts
"As for the foot pegs on the Rebel, at 5'8" I like them just where they are & might find the pegs on other bikes a little too forward" Makes sense. I'm 4" taller than you, and moved my pegs exactly 4" farther forward. If you fit on the stock seat ok, and the pegs are ok, the Corbin would definitely be an improvement, if you can afford it. I paid $350 for the Corbin seat on my Ninja 500, and it was worth every penny. But, the stock seat was a torture device, flat, hard as a rock with sharp edges. For me, the difference between the stock seat and a Corbin wouldn't be worth it on a Rebel, but it just might be for you. Problem is, there is no way to know for sure. I took a chance, based on recommendations from the Ninja 500 forum, and lucked out. Jerry.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
As for the foot pegs on the Rebel, at 5'8" I like them just where they are & might find the pegs on other bikes a little too forward.

The location of the pegs was not an arbitrary decision on Honda's part. Rebels are ridden by many beginning riders, and locating them where you can stand on the pegs without shifting your center of gravity abruptly forward when encountering a pothole or object laying in your path allows those without advanced skills to maintain control in such situations. Like any other modification that changes the basic geometry of the bike, like wheel sizes, fork length, etc. It shouldn't be done until you have at least moderate experience, and a thorough understanding of what the consequences may be.

·
Banned
2,279 Posts
While it's true you can't stand on the pegs where I relocated mine to, that is true of most cruisers. I have ridden a Kawasaki Eliminator 125, and it had the pegs way farther forward than the Rebel, and despite being such a tiny bike, I fit fine. I would own one, other than the top speed was 50 mph, not enough for freeways. My Vulcan 750 has the stock pegs just about where I moved the Rebel's to, in fact since it fits me so well, I used it as a guide when deciding just where to mount the Rebel pegs. I have never needed to stand on the pegs on any bike other than a dirt bike. One of the problems with the early Goldwings was the pegs were too far back. The reason for this is because the engine stuck out where the pegs should have been. But as a result, despite their large size and comfortable seat, they were not comfortable to ride for taller people because of the location of the pegs. On a cruiser, or any other bike, like a Goldwing, where you sit upright, I need my knees bent at 90 degrees, maybe a little more. The stock Rebel pegs had my legs completely folded up underneath me, and caused severe leg cramps.

I understand the Rebel is bought by a lot of beginners, but it is far from ideal for a taller beginner. If you want the pegs to be back far enough to be able to stand on, you need a much taller bike, with a lot more room between the pegs and the seat. My XT225 dual sport has pegs in about the same place as the Rebel, but the seat is over 6" higher than the pegs, giving a taller person room for their legs. Jerry.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
I can stand on mine. That's why I designed them with a three point mount...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts