Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I think the slide switch is supposed to be for the lights. It might be designed like bikes were in the 70s & before, with the ability to shut the headlights and markers completely off while riding. If that is the case, then I understand why they didn't have the starter switch disconnecting headlight. That's the only thing that makes sense for the way that it's wired.

Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Before I said that I was going to be replacing the master cylinder while I redid the controls. Wrong! I hadn't looked at the ad close enough to notice that it has no place for the mirror to mount.馃槚
I did install it, bled the front brakes, it works well, albiet it is a bit shorter than the original. Also the sight glass is hidden behind the handlebars. That's when I noticed that you can't put the mirror on!
Took it off, & put the old one back. :cautious:
"Keep the old so long as it's good, accept the new as soon as it's better." Unattributed, Just something my Dad used to say.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Guess what arrived today! My next mod Project!
"Kickstarter"
I don't know if I can get it done before the rally. Too much to do, but, I'll try.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I just installed Mirror Vibration Isolators that I bought from Studebaker Corp. They reduced the vibration in the mirrors by at least 80%! I can now tell the difference between a car & a police 馃殧 car.
These were made for the KLR650 1987-2007, but fit the Rebel perfectly!
Cost including shipping, $28.95
Item# 033-9996

Attachments

Reactions: Alan F.

Super Moderator
I couldn't find a Studebaker Corp that sold things. Most references were to the old Studebaker car company or an attorney by that name.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Look up mirror vibration isolators KLR650. You'll find it under that.
Try KLR650.COM
If you prefer chrome, fcmoto.de has these.
SHIN YO mirror vibration destroyer for M10 x 1.25 chrome & black
Make sure to order RH-RH!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
He had it for sale about 3 months ago. I hope he's still around. Here's the link to what he last posted about it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Making them comfortable is nice. My son pays for a membership to a motorcycle repair/training site like that one, in the Cleveland Ohio area.
One thing though, if you start your own thread then people can see each modification that you do & there'd be more people thinking of making comfort mods. The moderators can move what you've already started if you want them to do so.
Nice shot of the Irish Cultural Center! 馃檪
The backrest looks like it gives good support though.
I also think that you'd do well with an HD seat, or a Corbin.
Also, I like the relocation of the tail lights. How visible are the taillights on an angle?

Registered
1986 Honda CMX 450 Rebel
On mine, the stock seat is a bit modified. The back base of the saddle is grinded down ab bit and the bores on the fasteners are grinded into ovals. It takes the seat back about an 3/4 inch.
The LSL Butterfly Bar gets the Arms a bit wider, in conjunction with the new risers, all the mods get me more comfortable on long runs.
Blinkers are Honda VT600 Shadow (front&rear...and yes, the chrome bars on them are purely toy-stuff...)
The 7 inch clearglas headlight is a little sun at night. Despite it麓s old school american appereance it麓s a Shin-Yo from...of course and where else, China.
The rear Light is from Skyteam and the bracket to hold the registraton plate-is made of brass.
Then of course leather panniers and baggage-roll (Still not enough space for Camping equipment.)

Hagon Struts

Reactions: Emil

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
That's on a 450 too! Looks nice! I'm curious about the headlight. What is the amp draw? Can you replace the bulb for LED? Not that mine isn't bright, but seeing the deer at night is something that I worry about.

Registered
1986 Honda CMX 450 Rebel
The bulb is 12V 65/55W and interchangeable to a LED with a fitting socket. Just as it is, it麓s bright enough.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Cool! The 250 can only accommodate up to a 50 amp headlight, so if it was used on one, the bulb would have to be an LED to bring down the draw. Thanks for the pics too!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
I've only hit three so far, each of those with a cage which blocks so many of your senses. I've seen deer so many times on the bike that I would have missed seeing in a cage. My night vision is excellent I think partly because I had worked outside at night on the utility poles for many years. Never hit one while at work.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I ordered these June 20, they arrived today July 16. They seem well built. I'll let everyone know how they work. View attachment 110786
After 3 months of usage, approximately 1000 starts, the plastic button of the starter switch broke. I don't know if something bashed against it or what happened, but, 3 pieces fell out. I bought another set, & because of the way that I previously rewired things, it was a quick swap. Everything is back to normal. But if it happens again, it'll pretty much prove to me where the fault lies.
I very much like the design & utility of all of the switches/levers/etc. in this set.
I just hope this one stands the test of time better than the 1st one.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The bulb is 12V 65/55W and interchangeable to a LED with a fitting socket. Just as it is, it麓s bright enough.
Do you have a link?

Registered
1986 Honda CMX 450 Rebel

Registered
Shin Yo products have good quality from what I've seen personally and read from others. Thanks for the reminder.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts