Honda Rebel Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
5 days ago I finished replacing the 2nd sprocket on my Rebel. Then filled the 3.4 gallon tank. I've been driving more highway speeds than normal (70+mph). At 220 miles finally had to flip to reserve. I filled the tank & found that I got 80.6 mpg. This gear ratio IMO should be standard for these bikes. I can drive on the highway & if traffic is doing 80 mph, it'll do it too. AND get 80 mpg! Not too shabby!

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
I got nowhere near those numbers with a 30 tooth rear sprocket. Top speed slightly diminished, fuel economy about the same.

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
That was my experience as well. The 15/30 gears were great around town but ruined the bike for highway use. I am back to stock gears... Honda engineers yada yada yada.

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
With this configuration, & riding 2 up I can only get up to 70. But by myself 80 is reachable relatively easily. We both have an 85 Rebel, I find the 85 has more power than the 2nd gen. I find that mine rides much better with the 15:30 configuration. I also have never had to rebuild my carburetor. I do ride every month of the year in the Heat or in the cold.

·
Registered
87 Posts
With this configuration, & riding 2 up I can only get up to 70. But by myself 80 is reachable relatively easily. We both have an 85 Rebel, I find the 85 has more power than the 2nd gen. I find that mine rides much better with the 15:30 configuration. I also have never had to rebuild my carburetor. I do ride every month of the year in the Heat or in the cold.
I'm glad it's not just me. My 86 is tons faster than my 05 almost to the point I wanna turn my 86 into the "big" bike

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sorry that it took so long.
I finally took pictures of my Rebel with the LED headlight. One picture is with the low beams and the orange circle and the other is with the high beams and the white circle. 20210702_202329.jpg 20210702_202344.jpg

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I ordered these June 20, they arrived today July 16. They seem well built. I'll let everyone know how they work. 20210716_122605.jpg They have an additional switch between the kill, & start that I hadn't noticed in the original ad. I'll definitely put it to use for the hazzards & Fog lights!
I'll install the new master cylinder at the same time. And do some maintenance as well. 16264540696001729261954444467314.jpg Including new chain test of Niche 'X' style chain.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Also I thought I should post some pictures of h 20210716_163310.jpg
ow I put the Harley seat on the bike 20210716_163009.jpg 20210716_163337.jpg . 20210716_163021.jpg The 1st pic shows the blind nut that I used through the fender. That way nothing sticks down for the tire to catch. 2nd & 4th shows a piece of 1/4" steel bent into a hook for the front of the seat.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
@Emil you've put together a sharp looking bike
I Like the LED headlamp, especially if it lights the street well..
No profile images of seat installed?? What's with that? 🤪

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks. I don't know if you noticed the red circle on the right handlebar. It's a bicycle bell. I use it in places like campgrounds. Nice to have a motorcycle so quiet. Very respectful especially in the evening when some are sleeping. The people walking 10 feet in front don't notice until I ring the bell. A group of 5 looked quite surprised to see the Rebel behind them!
I prefer to be seen but not heard. IMO, Loud pipes increase road rage.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Just installed RFY air shocks. They're rated 4.7 so I thought... my shocks are OLD & need replaced anyway, so I bought a set for $50.00 to try. So far nice & smooth. Haven't ridden 2 up yet, so we'll have to wait & see.
Quick easy installation. Only problem was that the bushings were 1/8" to long. It took about a half hour to install them. I took my time.
Hopefully no more bottoming out!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
And yes, SoakedKarma the HID LED is quite bright after I finally got it adjusted correctly.
Previously I thought that they weren't very bright. But, adjusted correctly, they are Wonderful!

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
Just installed RFY air shocks. They're rated 4.7 so I thought... my shocks are OLD & need replaced anyway, so I bought a set for $50.00 to try. So far nice & smooth. Haven't ridden 2 up yet, so we'll have to wait & see.
Quick easy installation. Only problem was that the bushings were 1/8" to long. It took about a half hour to install them. I took my time.
Hopefully no more bottoming out!
Have a link?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
The shocks are great 2 up. No more bottoming out. I bid & won so I don't know how much others would pay.
Site no longer available

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
How did you resolve the too large bushing issue, grinding?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Yes. Bench grinder, then wire wheel. I have them on their most mild setting. I changed the pressure to 25psi.
Many sellers on ebay.
Pic also shows Niche chain, & hopefully a good enough profile of the HD seat for @SoakedKarma 20210718_164404.jpg

21 - 36 of 36 Posts