Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many people talking about mods for their bike and going down to in size to bobbers. I've only seen 1 post specifically about making it more agreeable for a serene relaxed ride.
I'm curious how many people have done the opposite and made them appear bigger and become much more comfortable and pleasant to ride. This is what I've done to my 85 Rebel. Of course I am an older rider that rides for the enjoyment of seeing the countryside. I try to always take different roads than I have before. (Not a bar hopper).
I enjoy it immensely as a nice comfortable easy long-distance Rider. 200 miles 2 up on a ride is the norm.
Is there an area in the forum for those that feel as I do?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have an 86 I made a bobber, went to the rebel rally and found out i had no storage. Now i have the bobber and a 05 that I've done a lot to to prepare for an upcoming cross country trip.

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
I've seen many people talking about mods for their bike and going down to in size to bobbers. I've only seen 1 post specifically about making it more agreeable for a serene relaxed ride.
I'm curious how many people have done the opposite and made them appear bigger and become much more comfortable and pleasant to ride. This is what I've done to my 85 Rebel. Of course I am an older rider that rides for the enjoyment of seeing the countryside. I try to always take different roads than I have before. (Not a bar hopper).
I enjoy it immensely as a nice comfortable easy long-distance Rider. 200 miles 2 up on a ride is the norm.
Is there an area in the forum for those that feel as I do?
This is how you create an area for discussion with like-minded members, by creating a thread. I would suggest the Cool Mods, Detailing & Appearance forum and choose a title that is straightforward that doesn't make people wonder what the discussion is about. Your title on this thread suggests to me a discussion on bobbers, which is opposite of what you want to discuss. I would suggest a new thread in the cool mods forum titled "Comfort & Pleasure Mods" or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
also feel free to share some pics of what you have done :)

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
A moderator can retitle and move this thread as 01-7700 suggested.

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I couldn't find anything in my search.
I'm not done with mods yet. When finished & finally get it painted correctly I'll have to post more pics.
If you can title it so others searching can find, as well as move to the proper locale, that'd be fine with me. (Or were you asking me to just forgo this one & start another?)
I'm relatively new to these sites, so don't have a proper feel for it yet.

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
I moved and retitled it, per 01-7700's suggestions. if you would like changes, just let a mod know.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This is what I've done.
Front sprocket= 15t
Seat=Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic Touring
Windshield = Kawasaki 900 Vulcan National Cycle
Front signals=Harley Davidson clamped to front struts
Rear signals =LED stop/tail/turn
Rear tail light= LED-put under fender
Engine guard
Highway pegs= Goldwing
Rear floorboards=Markland
Luggage/sissybar=Honda Shadow VLX600 left & right brackets reversed to make fit
Saddle bags
Cruise control
Cup holders 2 front, 1 back
Aux head lights= Alpena
Hazzard lights (Amber)=Pro Strobe (out of production)
Aux flashing brake light (Red)=Pro Strobe (out of production)
Strobe for when horn pushed (White)=Pro Strobe (out of production) still available at etrailer.com
Tank= 3.4 gallon coated interior before installing
12volt outlet
Headlight= 5-3/4" Halo CREE LED + Black Housing Bucket(old pic. doesn't show this change)
Very powerful neodymium magnets underneath to make traffic signals change
RFY air shocks (pic not showing)
Weight w/o people= 400#
When I'm done with my mods, I'll get it properly painted.
20210608_085723.jpg
20210608_085639.jpg

Reactions: Guba and 01-7700

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I can definitely appreciate the style and have outfitted one of my 450's in this fashion.

I like the 'strobe when horn is pushed' mod though, you got a little more info on that one?

I like the Alpena's too.
Here is a pic of my 'Touring Edition'
Just got some new Viking bags that are bigger and have added rear signals. Also getting my engine guard and highway bars back on. Forward controls, cruise control, and the Corbin seat makes cruising on this one a pleasure. I found the flat pegs on old GL's pop right in (those f'in springs are a B!%$# to get in though!) and give a little floorboard effect. I have them on all of my 450's. Had Dunlop 404's on this bike, but really like these Kenda Kruz' I put on this past fall, +! F/R of course. The bike in background has Bridgestone Exceedra Max's which are nice too, but it is time to replace. Thinking Metzler's this time.

Looking at replacing these 35 year old shocks too!

Gin Ba 5.2020.jpg

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 70753 White LED has 3 wires. Black(-), red Strobe, & white on. Just tap in to the wire at the horn, or in the junction box & connect it to the white wire. The picture on the etrailer website only shows the black & red wire though? Prostrobe did make a run of lights that only strobes, this could be a picture of that one.
I made a bracket that connects to the headlight bracket.
Pretty straightforward installation.
Hope that I answered your question.
This is how they look in their packaging.
20210620_102804.jpg

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, I should've commented on your 450. Very nice looking bike. Obviously cared for very well.
I really like the look & size of them.
My concern has always been that they were only made 1 or 2 years. And that parts will keep getting harder to find. If they had made them as long as the 250, I'd definitely own one now!

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
That seat looks so comfortable! I looked for the rear cup holder but was unable to find it :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I forgot that I'd added that after the pic was taken. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had forgotten 1 more thing I have that makes the ride more comfortable. Drivers backrest.
This pic shows the rear cup holder, albeit just slightly shows behind the backrest.

Attachments

Reactions: 01-7700

·
Registered
20 Posts
So far this is what I've done.
Front sprocket= 15t
Seat=Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic Touring
Windshield = Kawasaki 900 Vulcan National Cycle
Front signals=Harley Davidson clamped to front struts
Rear signals =LED stop/tail/turn
Rear tail light= LED-put under fender
Engine guard
Highway pegs= Goldwing
Rear floorboards=Markland
Luggage/sissybar=Honda Shadow VLX600 left & right brackets reversed to make fit
Saddle bags
Cruise control
Cup holders 2 front, 1 back
Aux head lights= Alpena
Hazzard lights (Amber)=Pro Strobe (out of production)
Aux flashing brake light (Red)=Pro Strobe (out of production)
Strobe for when horn pushed (White)=Pro Strobe (out of production) still available at etrailer.com
Tank= 3.4 gallon coated interior before installing
12volt outlet
Headlight= 5-3/4" Halo CREE LED + Black Housing Bucket(old pic. doesn't show this change)
Very powerful neodymium magnets underneath to make traffic signals change
Weight w/o people= 400#
When I'm done with my mods, I'll get it properly painted. View attachment 110702 View attachment 110701
I had forgotten 1 more thing I have that makes the ride more comfortable. Drivers backrest.
This pic shows the rear cup holder, albeit just slightly shows behind the backrest.
Hello I am currently making mine into a larger bagger type , using Harley fenders and stretched saddle bags.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool. But, be careful on the overall weight. I think the limit with passengers is 675 lbs. I normally ride with total weighing 730 lbs.
Watch the spokes carefully. I've broken some before. Don't ride with them that way.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello again, today I replaced the rear sprocket for 30t. Wow! What a difference in the sound of the engine. And smooth taller gears. Why was I afraid to do this sooner.
I also replaced the back brakes at the same time. Stops much better too!

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
Higher gearing reduces engine rpms and top speed. Mileage is similar.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Top speed is not excessively important to me. However, after putting the 30t on, I went on the highway. I have never ridden extremely fast, but I reached 80 easily & it was obvious the bike had more to give. Conditions may've been perfect for this, but the best part of the power seemed to be more in sync with the timing of my shifting. Seems to be empirical but 1 test proves nothing. Not that I'm ever planning on traveling that fast on such a small bike again.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts