Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Honda Rebel
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on rebuilding a 1986 CMX 450? Is there any way to split the case and not take it completely apart? Or does anyone rebuild these in Illinois or surrounding states? Just wondering before I start on this.

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
IIRC, member DNC is in Illinois and has several 450's. If he doesn't see this post and reply, start a conversation with him.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I did a top end rebuild on mine, when the vacuum line came off the right cylinder causing a lean condition. It heated that piston up so much it blew apart. The bottom end was all fine, so I just did the cylinders up. It's been super reliable since!

What's going on with yours that you need a rebuild?

·
Registered
1986 Honda Rebel
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a top end rebuild on mine, when the vacuum line came off the right cylinder causing a lean condition. It heated that piston up so much it blew apart. The bottom end was all fine, so I just did the cylinders up. It's been super reliable since!

What's going on with yours that you need a rebuild?
Mine needed lower end rebuilt, new main bearings. Did finally find them and I am putting it back together now.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,376 Posts
I have a 1986 Honda Rebel CMX-450 that WAS in great running condition. Yesterday, my ex was out riding it and the red light came on. Too late, the engine was out of oil. It still runs but sounds terrible. Is anyone in need of a parts bike? Such a same. I should have checked it myself. It's been a great ride too. I guess it has about 8000 miles on it
also offer on Classified Buy | Sell | Trade forum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts