Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 rebel 2004 sportster
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone done an engine swap cm to rebel? I have done a bit of research and as many of you know the cm250 was the precursor of the rebel. The engine was the same 234cc unit as far as I can tell..the cm was made from 81-83, for some reason there are a few available locally for short money. I have checked on this site and google, but it’s always great to hear from someone with knowledge. i would love to hear about the similarities/differences and the parts interchangeability.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,609 Posts
It'd be nice if the carbs were the same as the 1st Gen Rebels too! I don't know, curious myself, NOW.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are also a couple of 250 hawks available nearby- i am pretty sure most of those parts would interchange, notably the engine. I’m sure that with all the knowledge on this site someone will have the answers. I remember someone was searching for an engine, rather than just looking for rebel engines he could expand his search 😀

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2002 on facebook marketplace for $300. I’m not on Facebook or any social media- maybe wrong generation- but i go on the marketplace… and there are lots of bikes on there. I agree the guy with the cm is asking too much…

·
Registered
2002 Rebel 250, 2008 Nighthawk 250
9 Posts
I have a 2002 Rebel 250 and my son has a 2008 Nighthawk 250. I wouldn't testify to it in a court of law, but it appears to me the engines are the same, but the mounts are different to fit the different frames. So a Nighthawk engine would bolt into a Rebel frame using the Rebel mounts. Let me know if you'd like me to take pics and post them.

I know nothing about the CM250 other than if you watch the old Price is Right episodes on the Pluto network, CM250s were often given away as part of the showcase at the end. :)

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for your response- i felt that the engines were the same based on pictures but it’s nice to get a confirmation. I’m on the hunt for a nighthawk now 😀

·
Administrator
4,483 Posts
looking forward to hearing how you make out - looking at the frame of a nighthawk compared to rebel they are very different - i will be surprised if the engines are the same

Map Font Auto part Parallel Drawing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here are the Rebel and Nighthawk front engine mounts. The mounts are drastically different but the bosses on the crankcase look the same. The Rebel has a nice rubber insert in the mount, which may explain why it is so much less "buzzy" than the Nighthawk.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Automotive wheel system
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here are the bottom bolts for the rear crankcase mount. Sorry I couldn't get the exact same angle because the footbrake on the Nighthawk is in the way. But the bosses on the crankcase look the same. Note the Rebel has two unused bosses in front of the mount. On the Nighthawk, that's where the sidestand is attached.
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Carbon
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
9 Posts
Finally, here is the top mount, which bolts to a boss in the cylinder head above the intake manifold. Here again the mounts are very different, but the boss on the head looks the same. Sorry it's a little blurry - the iPhone wasn't getting it so I used an old Fuji digital camera.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Gas Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
4,483 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bonus post of the top mount location. Remember this is only for the 1996-2016 Rebel - I have no idea if the 1984-87 is different. Hope this helps! I think these little bikes are a blast and am glad people think it's worth swapping engines to keep them running.
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

1 - 20 of 26 Posts