Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: 2008 Rebel 250 with 4500 miles on odometer. Oil level is correct. .When I start out on a ride on a cold engine, I notice the clutch slips fairly noticeably in all gears.

After about 7 miles the clutch no longer slips, or if it does it is too little to notice..

I just bought the bike and did not yet change the oil....The previous owner is a well-experienced rider and I imagine he would have changed the oil with the non-energy conserving kind.

I will change the oil very soon just because the bike is new to me. I have motorcycle specific 10W40 on hand..

I do not know anything about adjusting the clutch cable. It seems to work just fine.

Any comments?

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
740 Posts
I had that problem once when I put in 1 Qt. of the wrong oil because I was so low. I thought any oil is better than without it. It took better 3000 miles for it to get cleaned off enough to work properly.
Now I always carry a Qt. of good oil just in case.

Reactions: Bokobob

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,376 Posts
As I remember you indicated in another thread brake light switch was adjusted nearly all the way back which would cause me to ponder the low mileage and/or previous owners proficiency..
was that you? my memory hasn't been what it was for some time..

Technically the clutch should slip less cold as oil has less viscosity when hot..
that said, as things heat up they expand which should cause fiber and steel disks expand, locking them tighter together..

Than there is springs which would weaken ever so slightly as they heat up.. bad springs conceivably could accelerate clutch slippage as they warm.. Many mechanics don't check spring free length or just replace springs when new clutch installed..

That brings us to low mileage which would indicate to me clutch hasn't been touched since leaving honda factory.. Leaving Honda manufactured parts untimely failure, or prior use of Energy Conserving now known as Resource Conserving (cuz the specifications changed) oil was used..

I have noticed shifting will change once in a while after a oil change, have never experienced slippage though..
Change the oil, Give it some time, and you may find it to cure itself as Emil indicates..

i use 15-40 wally world Super Tech or Shell Rotella T4 diesel oil as we have heavy equipment and i'm cheap.. not had a problem in 12 years.

My bike seems to have a personality of it's own that can't be predicted 100%

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I am the guy who wrote about the absence of tail light function when footbrake is used...I am in process of working that out,,
I have decided to get some Rotella oil for the Rebel...Heard good things about it.

Thank you guys, for insights into this latest "wrinkle" in my bike's performance.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also just thought of maybe gasoline is getting into the crankcase and causes the slippage, and after warming up, the gasoline "may" be evaporating, leaving the oil adequately "thick" to defeat slippage....This is a major shot in the dark, but I will look into it...ANy opinions?

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
740 Posts
I've only had gasoline leak past the rings on one motorcycle. It was a Suzuki. There was an explosion as I was riding down State Route 301 and the oil filler plug blew out and I got hot oil all over my right leg. Fortunately that's all that occurred. I couldn't find the filler cap no matter how hard I searched. I took the extra quart of oil that I always carry in the back of the bike, filled up the bike to the sight glass. And then carved a tree branch to fit as a plug temporarily till I get home. It's not fun when it happens. Check your oil if it smells like gasoline, it is gasoline.
If in doubt drain your oil and refill with fresh oil. And check it periodically. If your oil level starts rising, then most likely there's gasoline getting into it.
Always shut off the petcock when you shut off the bike. It avoids the possibility of gasoline getting past into the oil.
I normally shut off the petcock about a tenth of a mile before I get to my driveway.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More to the story of the slipping clutch...Please bear with me. I am 85 and it is no longer easy to understand things at times....Changed to proper oil in 2008 Rebel 250 two days ago.First time out the slippage stopped after riding close to ten miles...Then rode another 20 miles. Today I went 20 miles and the clutch slipped a good bit in all gears the entire ride unless I really rode it very slowly and with very gentle acceleration...I noticed that there is no play at all in the clutch lever on the handlebar.
And within 1/2 inch of pulling the clutch lever in that the slipping occurs immediately....Here is my dumb question: Is it possible that I can adjust the cable on the clutch so as to provide more play when pulling in the clutch and perhaps reduce/eliminate the slippage?

Many thanks for your goodwill in giving me a hand.

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
Try it and see. There should be 3/8" - 3/4" of free play at the end of the clutch lever before resistance is felt. Hope that fixes it.

Reactions: SoakedKarma

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,376 Posts
Excerpt from Rebel shop manual..

Font Auto part Motor vehicle Machine Parallel

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, guys, for the additional info. So far so good. I adjusted the cable top and bottom after watching YouTube tutorials and after three adjustments it seems to no longer slip. Now I am not proclaiming "VICTORY" just yet....Previously after the bike warmed up, it sometimes did not slip..So, I'll see what happens in the morning when starting out cold. I'll let you know.
Cool to know top is fine adjustment and bottom is major adjustment.

A thousand thanks..

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
I hope that fixes it. I recall one forum member who bought a Rebel and within a relatively short time, the clutch didn't work. He had never adjusted the clutch (first bike) and came to the forum for advice. Conclusion was the setup tech didn't adjust the clutch free play properly to the point there wasn't any. The dealer didn't want to admit it was the dealership's fault, but finally agreed to rebuild the clutch for free.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for good story, Flite...I took the bike out and after four miles the clutch did not slip at all. It did slip when engine was cold. I rode thirty miles today...
New wrinkle: gasoline was dripping out of a hose at the bottom of the bike..I think it is called the overflow hose?Anyway I saw that it was not coming from the petcock area so I rode for thirty miles and when I put the bike up I turned the petcock to OFF and ran all the fuel out...Checked a half hour later and no gasoline had leaked out...I'll continue my "slueth" work until I find out the precise reason..

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,376 Posts
Often tapping/whacking the float bowl with screwdriver handle will cause stuck float valve to close..

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you...I don't know much about carbs, but did think it was maybe the float bowl. I will do as you suggested...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts