Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have an issue with my clutch. When the engine is hot the clutch seems to get stuck. The cables are fine and not catching any where. I can not pull in the clutch handle at all, but as the engines RPM's drop and things slow down I can work the clutch open. what could be the problem? should I start with replacing the clutch and the basket. I haven't opend it up yet I have to buy the spanner nut.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,677 Posts
my guess is the basket and hub have had grooves worn into them by the friction plates and steels and won't slide when under torque..
Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

New Complete Chinese clutch assemblies can be bought for about $30 on eBay..
@Emil has had good experience with the aftermarket version

·
Registered
2002 Rebel 250, 2008 Nighthawk 250
35 Posts
Welp, I learned something new today. Thanks, SoakedKarma. The clutch pull on my son's Nighthawk has always been harder than the pull on my Rebel, and the PO claimed he had a "new clutch" installed at a local Honda MC dealership. And I'm thinking, "How do you go through a clutch on a 250 in 3500 miles?" If it gets worse (which it hasn't), now I know what to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my guess is the basket and hub have had grooves worn into them by the friction plates and steels and won't slide when under torque..
View attachment 113817

New Complete Chinese clutch assemblies can be bought for about $30 on eBay..
@Emil has had good experience with the aftermarket version

I pulled the clutch cover to investigate and found no marks. Could it just be an old clutch causing it tobget stuck? also now my sifting is all screwd up its loose, the shifter wont return after trying to put it into a gear.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,677 Posts
Gearshift spindle shaft roller bearing in need of cleaning and lubrication often responsible stiff or non function..
Shaft passes through Left Rear Side cover, Remove bell crank/gearshift arm from spindle shaft remove chain sprocket cover. aerosol carb/brake cleaner clean out crust, greased with what ever grease I had on hand
Tool Gas Auto part Composite material Metal

on the Right side Gearshift spindle spring (pink/tan splash of paint) forces pedal return
Hand tool Tool Wood Fashion accessory Auto part

bent adjustment rod between pedal and shift rod bell crank can cause pedal to not return.
Wood Automotive tire Rim Font Circle

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,677 Posts
So much for my guess.. have you pulled on clutch leaver with cable not connected?
should be stiff, never tried it, might not move without leverage of hand lever..
clutch stiffness has me miffed, typically warn disks will cause loss of power as clutch slips under torque

does the cable move freely? lube cable. 3 in 1, MMO, singer sewing machine oil.. what ever is on hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts