Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like I have to let the clutch almost all the way out before I get near the friction zone. Can someone please tell me how to adjust the cable so it grabs sooner?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Try this.

You should have 3/8" - 3/4" of freeplay in the clutch lever. If you don't, locate the locknut at the lever and rotate adjustment wheel in or out to get the proper amount of freeplay. Tighten the locknut when finished

Start the engine, pull lever, and shift into 1st. If shifting is difficult or the bike creeps, you will have to adjust it at the clutch housing.

Turn bike off. Go back to the hand lever, loosen locknut, and turn the adjuster wheel all the way toward the hand grip. Tighten locknut.

Follow the cable down to the clutch housing and loosen the locknut and turn the adjuster in or out to get the proper amount of freeplay. Tighten locknut.

You may have to go back to the hand lever and do some fine tuning.

Repeat second paragraph. If the adjustments above don't fix it, the cable has probably stretched and you'll need a new one.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Try this.

You should have 3/8" - 3/4" of freeplay in the clutch lever. If you don't, locate the locknut at the lever and rotate adjustment wheel in or out to get the proper amount of freeplay. Tighten the locknut when finished

Start the engine, pull lever, and shift into 1st. If shifting is difficult or the bike creeps, you will have to adjust it at the clutch housing.

Turn bike off. Go back to the hand lever, loosen locknut, and turn the adjuster wheel all the way toward the hand grip. Tighten locknut.

Follow the cable down to the clutch housing and loosen the locknut and turn the adjuster in or out to get the proper amount of freeplay. Tighten locknut.

My clutch handle has too much free play, I tryied this adjustment and the handle got hard to pull, but free play is still way too much.. Clutch isn't engageing untill the hand lever is almost all the way out..
I asked a bike mechanic, and he told me my clutcth needs adjusting,, He's a good mechanic, but I've tryied the adjustment.. I was hoping to do this minor repair myself.. Anyone with Any suggestion,,

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
There is no way to adjust a properly functioning Rebel clutch other than the cables. He may be a good mechanic, but he's not familiar with this bike.

It's possible the cable may be binding. Is there any resistance when you operate the lever with the motor end of the cable detached? If yes, the cable may be frayed inside the sheath. If it is, it needs to be replaced.

If you have a manual, repeat the adjustment, making sure you follow the procedure step by step. Might not hurt to lubricate the cable too. All cables should be lubricated periodically.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I haven't tryed it with cable disconnected, I'll try that today.. And will get some cable lubricant..
Also I have noticed that the bike does seem to want to creep a little with clutch handle pulled.
The bike rolls easier when in nutral than when in gear with the clutch pulled,
I'm thinking that the clutch isn't tottally disengaging when handle is pulled in..

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
It definitely needs to be adjusted if it is trying to roll with the clutch pulled.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Another newbie here. My bike wants to creep in first gear with the clutch handle pulled. As confirmation, the rpms drop slightly when you pull the clutch and go from neutral to first. It also does not want to go into neutral with the engine running. Is this adjustable, or do I need a new clutch and I got slightly taken by the guy who sold it to me?

Will improper oil lead to this problem, or does that only cause clutch slip? I am not sure about the oil he used. He pretty much said, "Any 10w-40 motor oil." He did not have a sample of what he used. I changed it immediately to Mobil 1 that meet the FASA MA standard. Could good oil clean up sludge and other problems that lead to a sticky clutch?

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
That sounds like just an adjustment is all you need.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have adjusted to the proper free play and it still creeps. I backed it off and the creep got less. I think I need a better manual or else take it to a shop.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
I have adjusted to the proper free play and it still creeps. I backed it off and the creep got less. I think I need a better manual or else take it to a shop.
Have you checked the cable? If it is worn and stretched, The P.O. might have adjusted to compensate. You can only adjust so far if a cable is stretching...

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
You probably need to adjust it down by the clutch cover. It can be adjusted to have the proper free play and the clutch will fully disengage when the lever is pulled.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Clutch cover adjustment

With the owner's manual in hand, I carefully followed the directions for adjusting down by the clutch cover. Either I am a total klutz, or there is something else wrong. I could not get it to fully disengage.

·
Registered
384 Posts
OK, wrenches . . . . my clutch has the right freeplay at the lever, but it engages just a hair past where it begins to pull in from rest. Can I adjust it to engage later in the pull stroke? I can feather it, easily ease in/out of the friction zone, etc., I just wonder can I move it back further in the stroke?

This is one of those deals where I'm asking first, so I won't be saying later . . . . 'It was working till I fixed it !"

TwinRingWilson
2000 Rebel

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Almost sounds like your lever could be bent and not supplying full travel. I bet the cable stretches too much when pulling the clutch. My 09' is doing the whole not fully disengadging thing too so I'll be getting a new cable soon. It's got nearly 20K miles on it.
Also, Rebel 250s are known for not liking to go into neutral when running. I always wait till after shutting it off to go into neutral, no biggie.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
As long as there is positive free play when your clutch lever is released your clutch is fully engaging. Your problem seems to be not disengaging enough, which requires the minimum freeplay in the cable and the maximum travel on the clutch actuator.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So, a new cable is more likely to be the answer than clutch replacement? I think the clutch handle has full travel range, it does not look bent, or like it will bend without breaking.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My new Rebel 250 creeps a bit forward in first gear with the clutch pulled in can this burn out the clutch or cause any transmission damage?

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
it sounds like your clutch is dragging which would also make it hard to shift into neutral with the engine running. If the clutch is adjusted correctly, and it still drags you may have a warped clutch plate or a notched clutch basket.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is hard to shift into neutral from first gear with the engine running and the bike is stationary, I am trying to decide weather to take it in or attempt the adjustment on my own following owners manual instructions, iv been a cyclist for thirty years doing my own bicycle maintenance repairs but motorcycles are all new to me.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts