Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my 86 250 is having a issue when shifting into 1st. No problems on other gears. I do almost exclusively city riding so the clutch gets a lot of use. Probably have 1200 city miles on it since the last clutch change. Anyway, it’s developed an issue where it clatters or maybe gargles into gear when shifting to 1st. It sounds like something is loose or just rattling around in the transmission. I try to shift faster to counteract it, but I don’t think it’s helping, it takes a little while for it to grab. Shifting more slowly kind of just draws the sound out, and it’s not exactly the same every time. Since I do a lot of stop and go I tend to use the friction zone to creep often, could it be I’m just due for a new clutch or is it something more involved?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would first check the adjustment on your clutch to make sure it is not under or over tight. Also, what does it sound like when the engine is not running? Sometimes I can’t shift from a standstill, but if you move the bike forward from neutral, put on the kickstand and shift it with your hand, what happens?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh, and make you have changed your oil. An old mechanic told me that many shifting problems with Hondas can be fixed by an oil change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts