Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My 15 yr old son and I bought a fixer upper 2004 Honda Rebel as a winter project, as he's got an interest in mechanics...figured it would be a good bonding experience. Got it for $400, and was not running at purchase, had been sitting in a garage for years, but looked good condition. Changed battery, changed spark plugs, drained old gas, cleaned carb, replaced air filter, changed oil, and it was running like a dream for weeks. Took it out cruising through the country yesterday, was coming to a stop, so had clutch in, down shifted to 1st (clutch still in), and heard a loud "Clank k clank" while not in gear. Dead motorcycle...now when I try to start it, I turn on key, turn off kill switch, hit the starter, and it's just 1 click and nothing else. When holding in the start button after it clicks, the headlight goes out. No idea where to start - so taking a stab at throwing it out here to see if anyone has a clue :) Thanks - Jake & Wyatt 2004 Honda Rebel 250.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
battery is dead if all you get is click from starter relay
or starter is internally damaged..
Headlight is designed to go off when starter button pushed so that all current is delivered to starter.. Check voltage drop when starter button pushed.. Anything below 10.5 volts is a dead battery. You can jump from car battery as long as automobile engine isn't running.

Wouldn't be the first time a new battery was bad from the git go..
Had a member here returning a new battery find a store full of bad batteries after that wouldn't pass a load test before they were sold a couple of months ago..
She took our advise ordering Yuasa battery online.. The brand lasts years longer than others..

Reactions: Jake.Southil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
battery is dead if all you get is click from starter relay
or starter is internally damaged..
Headlight is designed to go off when starter button pushed so that all current is delivered to starter.. Check voltage drop when starter button pushed.. Anything below 10.5 volts is a dead battery. You can jump from car battery as long as automobile engine isn't running.

Wouldn't be the first time a new battery was bad from the git go..
Had a member here returning a new battery find a store full of bad batteries after that wouldn't pass a load test before they were sold a couple of months ago..
She took our advise ordering Yuasa battery online.. The brand lasts years longer than others..
Thanks! This will be the first thing we try tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
Your "Clank k clank" noise bothers me..
Check you can turn engine over by placing in 5 gear and pushing bike..

there should be no reason for engine to stop running even if battery goes dead, the spark is powered by magneto type ignition independent of battery and alternator charging circuits..

Rebel can be push started when battery is dead.. kill switch needs to be set to Run

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
Not sure it's related to your issue, but when downshifting to first at too high a speed, there is a noticeable "clunk" from the transmission.

Reactions: MaconMan77

·
Registered
2001 CMX250 El Bandito, 1984 CB650SC Bike Tyson, 2000 LS650 Suzuki-gun
241 Posts
That clunk still bothers me, but it seems to be a normal thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure it's related to your issue, but when downshifting to first at too high a speed, there is a noticeable "clunk" from the transmission.
Yep - I'm familiar with what you're talking about but this was a unique sound not like that. Clutch was pulled in whole time as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your "Clank k clank" noise bothers me..
Check you can turn engine over by placing in 5 gear and pushing bike..

there should be no reason for engine to stop running even if battery goes dead, the spark is powered by magneto type ignition independent of battery and alternator charging circuits..

Rebel can be push started when battery is dead.. kill switch needs to be set to Run
Yep is definitely not battery issue - any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
Ideas??
does the engine turn over? if not is the problem internal, if so, where?
is it a parts bike that can finance a different project or worth tear down and repair?

Need to ascertain where the problem is.

remove screwin access cover in left side cover, rotate engine Counter Clockwise using socket and ratchet. does the engine lock up at some point..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hand Drinkware Gesture Wood Finger

Was checking spark plugs and saw this - clearly no spark being generated when testing - hoping this is culprit

·
Registered
2004 Rebel 250
116 Posts
Hopefully that plug was just dropped at some point in its life. I'd take a good look in the cylinder (through the spark plug hole) and make sure there's nothing in it. A bore scope makes this a breeze, though I understand that most people ain't got one.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
yea i'd worry there is something bouncing around in the cylinder..
look for dings in top of piston from something bouncing around..
pull the other plug and crank the engine as fast as she will go, you may blow foreign object out..
Don't be looking down cylinder while cranking, eye damage may result

1 - 13 of 13 Posts