Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
That eBay item is truly "new" then OK, but I've been through two of them and the threads were fatigued. If you buy this eBay item, then feedback later please.

I've had to order a new one unfortunately for the price. While waiting for this, my Rebel apparently runs fine with the insecurely attached nut, without 'choke' (SE) engaged.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
That eBay item is truly "new" then OK, but I've been through two of them and the threads were fatigued. If you buy this eBay item, then feedback later please.

I've had to order a new one unfortunately for the price. While waiting for this, my Rebel apparently runs fine with the insecurely attached nut, without 'choke' (SE) engaged.
Did that second nut work out for you? The nuts are new but the threads on that batch were less than ideal having several failures. The new nuts have a minor redesign and excellent threads. I can send you one if you'd like.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
New nut seemed to be fine, I think. I just recently installed it and have not had a chance ride my rebel. I started it tho, didnt seem like extra air was getting into the carb. It did have a small amount of gas coming out of the over flow. Theres some seafom in my tank right now though.

Thanks for the warning tho! Ill contact you if a problem presents itself.

Edit: not sure if that last post was for me or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same problem. I just rebuild the carb, and when putting back the choke plastic nut, I noticed that the treads ware striped. Also after short test ride , there was a little wetness around the plastic nut. My question is , How do you replace the plastic nut?? what is the procedure??. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
remove the cable end from the carb with nut and plunger attached
remove plunger and spring from cable end
replace nut
put plunger and spring back on
insert into carb and FINGER tighten nut

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
You can buy just the nut on eBay - at the dealer you have to buy the whole assembly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
remove the cable end from the carb with nut and plunger attached
remove plunger and spring from cable end
replace nut
put plunger and spring back on
insert into carb and FINGER tighten nut
Hey, how does the plunger and spring come off the end of the cable? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
29,644 Posts
Welcome. Pull the spring back, which will allow you to slide the cable end out of the slot in the plunger. With the plunger removed, the spring and plastic nut slide off the cable end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Didn't realize it was that easy, thanks! What are the chances of stripping out the new one? haha kinda worried about it

·
Super Moderator
29,644 Posts
It's plastic, so just snug it down a tad more than finger tight. Don't over tighten it. It won't come out if installed this way.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You could likely repair the broken nuts with crazy glue & baking soda (after removing the nut from the cable first)

If you're not familiar with this trick run a youtube search. The deal is that you can crazy glue as you normally would, but while the glue isn't set you sprinkle baking soda (nip a pinhole in one corner of the box) the baking soda acts like a catalyst and immediately hardens the glue.
This works with all brands of cyanoacrylate adhesives and all brands of baking soda. Use it anywhere you'd crazy glue, and you can all layers to reinforce problem areas.

I've used this trick on a snow shovel blade, vacuum cleaner, freezer shelf, toys, tv remote, coffee mug handle......

·
Super Moderator
29,644 Posts
Drapedog, is that manual enricher adjustable or all on/all off?

·
Registered
46 Posts
All on, all off. It does work tho, incase anyone was curious. I was curious myself, so I tried it out.

·
Super Moderator
29,644 Posts
Seems most of them are that way. IIRC, someone found one similar in appearance that was adjustable, and I failed to tag it and can't find it now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thank you Drapedog!

·
Registered
46 Posts
You're welcome...I actually tried the glue and baking soda trick on that nut. It worked for several days then broke in a new spot lol...the glue held up tho. Plastic was just old and brittle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts