Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
For the Gen-2 owners looking to replace your plastic side covers but don't want to spring the extra cash on new or used OEM replacements, the cheap Chinese knock-offs for the Rebel Clones seem attractive in price...but there's a catch:

While the left side (air cleaner) clone-cover fits perfectly, note how the mounting tab on the right side (battery) clone-cover is flush with the edge while your US model cover has the tab recessed further into the cover. The clone-bikes have the mounting tab welded further inside the frame and as such if you attempt to mount this cover to your US model the forward grommet will not even connect. As such you can opt to bolt the cover to the frame as is, but it will be sticking out significantly without the benefit of keeping the battery safe from the elements.

Fret not, there's a solution...and it's so simple it couldn't be more obvious.

Step 1> Cut the tab off. Okay, it's not that simple --- before you cut the tab off make sure you measure just how much extra space you need. You can cut shallow and re-cut as needed, but if you cut too deep on the initial try then you're screwed.

See that tab laying on the pillion? Step 2 is removing all the excess plastic above it. Cut it, sand it, whatever your choice of removal may be but just get rid of that excess plastic. Once you have just a tab, slide it into the gap of the side cover for a test fit accordingly:

Step 3> Now that you have that tab right where you want it, get some two part epoxy resin and affix the tab to the cover. You can even use that leftover piece you just cut off the tab on the inside of the cover to reinforce it with more epoxy. When it's all said & done, it should look like this:

Step 4> Let it cure for at least 12 hours (if not 24, the more the merrier), afterwards ---
Step 4½ (if applicable): clean it up and touch up the paint if necessary (or just repaint the whole thing to match if it's a different color).

Step 5> Finished product mounted on the bike:

Step 6> You're ready to ride with those shiny inexpensive covers!

Attachments

Reactions: gizmobowie

·
Super Moderator
29,465 Posts
Great tip. Did you notice someone shoved a pipe up the exhaust?

·
Super Moderator
3,800 Posts
For the Gen-2 owners looking to replace your plastic side covers but don't want to spring the extra cash on new or used OEM replacements, the cheap Chinese knock-offs for the Rebel Clones seem attractive in price...but there's a catch:
Thanks for redoing this post Shack!

Photobucket can sucket.

Reactions: kryton

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
If you have an Aussie rebel they fit without mods. They are made to fit with twin carbs

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you notice someone shoved a pipe up the exhaust?
Yes, I did. It turns out one of the moderators here had that happen once and later on it happened to me too...

Photobucket can sucket.
I hope the site I hosted those pics on lasts for a bit...

If you have an Aussie rebel they fit without mods. They are made to fit with twin carbs
I gathered they would since they resemble the Asian market models that the Chinese cloned.

Good balance of information and laffs.
That's my writing style: inform & entertain. :thumb:

I used to write amonthly editorial for an international webzine that fell off the web long ago. The writing has been recently rehosted/archived but the accompanying photo links are dead. http://www.beginnerbikers.org/content.php?119

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did you notice someone shoved a pipe up the exhaust?
Yes, I did. It turns out one of the moderators here had that happen once and later on it happened to me too...

I gathered they would since they resemble the Asian market models that the Chinese cloned.

Ok, whatever you stick up your tailpipe is your business, but why? Is it for or function?

Do the Chinese knock off the dual carb setup as well? I like the simplicity of one carb, but more hp would be nice!

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, whatever you stick up your tailpipe is your business, but why? Is it for or function?
The reference is to the chrome extension pieces on my mufflers:

It's a styling thing, but as far as function goes they add volume (i.e. cubic space) to the exhaust thus altering the tone.

Do the Chinese knock off the dual carb setup as well? I like the simplicity of one carb, but more hp would be nice!
I have a set of Chinese dual carbs on one of my projects...I still need the carb to airbox coupling before I can give any outlook on the matter.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Does it use the same keihins? I assume jetting would be considerably smaller, seeing how each carb is only feeding one cylinder. Any other modification necessary to get the two to fit and work in unison? Very interested... Simplicity be damned!

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure of the type or size, they came with the bike when I bought it. As far as additional work involved --- multiple carbs require periodic synchronization, or at least periodic checks to said synchronization.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
It's an interesting question to ask about the effect of twin carbs on a 360 degree twin like the Rebel. Keep in mind that a cylinder draws fuel mix only 1/4 of the time on it's intake stroke, so for a 360 degree twin, even a single carb only feeds one cylinder at a time with half a crankshaft revolution between the pulses of air/fuel flow through the carb throat.
I'm no expert, but it would seem logical that a 180 degree pulse of flow every crankshaft revolution would result in better flow momentum through the intake tract than a pulse of the same magnitude every 2 revolutions.
I suspect that the freer flowing advantage of twin carbs is largely due to straighter and shorter inlet tracts to the engine.

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
Yes the manifolds are only about 2 inches long

·
Super Moderator
3,800 Posts
restored the images as attachments - the image hosting services are unreliable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts