Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I waited to post this till Buickguy got back but hope the whole forum will kick this around.

A bit of background. I sat down the a while back intending to re-configure a wiring harness I have to make a 2nd Gen CDI match up to a first Generation bike. As I was trying to organize my thoughts as to how to proceed a thought came to me (a rare occurrence): Why are there so many reports of Chinese CDI's not working? Could it be that they are not configured for the US Honda?

I queried our member gonzalobocchi from Argentina who rides a 2008 Motomel Rider (Rebel clone) and here is how the exchange went:

Originally Posted by ShenValleyFlyFish
gonzalobocchi

I've been hoping you'd turn up. I have a question for you. Does your motorcycle start with the kick-stand down or is there a safety switch which prevents it from running if it is not retracted?
Hi ShenValley! My bike have no safety switch. Starts ALWAYS, with or without the kick-stand on. I know about safety switches related to the clutch, if you don't press it, the bike doesn't start. Mine have not that either.. No safety switches at all...
Greetings!

From Argentina to the world.
I then wrote to Mo, the technical advisor at Snappy Dog Scooters where I purchased the CDI. FWIW I found out about this place through the posts of member/mod wjmrty and judging from the exchanges on the site this guy is on the up and up and trying to build a rep as a reliable source for after market parts.

This is the Reply I received
to ‪tech‬

- Mo

Background:
I purchased a CDI for a 250 Rebel from you a while back. I belong to a rebel discussion group where there is almost universal report of Chinese CDI's not functioning. I am preparing to install mine and had a question which occurred to me. On the US Honda Rebel there are 2 generations of CDI units, one which matches the 85-7 models and the 2nd generation which is re-configured to allow for a safety/idiot switch at the kick stand. It is possible to re-wire the 1st generation harness connection to use a 2nd generation CDI but I have not read of a work around in the other direction.

Question:
Do the Chinese Rebel clones have a kickstand kill switch? I have an 85 US Honda Rebel. How do I need to configure my wiring for your CDI to function?

TIA

[email protected]
Aug 17
to ‪me‬

The kick stand kill switchs I have seen are wired to the black and white wire on the CDI. Thet provide a ground to the cdi to kill the motor, just like the kill switch does. To eliminate it from a scooter that has it, just unplug it. To add it wire it in to the kill switch circuit.

Mo

Disclaimer:
Due to differences in installers levels of experience, all advice given is merely general guidance and all responsiblity of parts installation and purchases rests solely with the customer/installer.

FWIW I have an 86 model I committed a typo in my query and I wrote to Snappy Dog before I had talked to gonzalobocchi, but that doesn't really matter.

So
What say yee noble members of the forum? How should I now proceed?

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
To wire a second gen CDI to a classic Rebel this is what you have to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I follow that. The question is does a Chinese CDI match a First Gen, Second Gen or something totally else?

·
Super Moderator
7,811 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
To wire a second gen CDI to a classic Rebel this is what you have to do.
Your “attached thumbnails” are gone??

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The IHA6008 CDI is configured to operate on 2nd gen Rebel,, I have found it produced in both China and Argentina..
I currently run the China version on my 87 with an adapter I constructed..
China version which I have currently installed on my bike..
Argentina version
I also have found the "GY6 6 Pin CDI" is a direct plug and run for the 85-87 1st gen without need for adapting wiring BUT it provides NO electronic timing advance..

Wiring hack to adapt 2nd gen CDI to 1st gen bike

Attachments

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
No spark advance would be a major performance problem for any engine that runs faster than about 1500 RPM. The ability to program an advance curve in the engine control electronics versus the old centrifugal cam advance mechanisms of years ago is one of the reasons why modern engines make so much more power than those of 40 years ago.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
No spark advance would be a major performance problem for any engine that runs faster than about 1500 RPM. The ability to program an advance curve in the engine control electronics versus the old centrifugal cam advance mechanisms of years ago is one of the reasons why modern engines make so much more power than those of 40 years ago.
Not to mention the wear and tear on cylinder walls and rings the unburned fuel causes by washing away the cylinder wall lubrication..
Have 0 miles on the GY6 CDI as I was unwilling to subject the engine to abuse..
The IHA6008 provides 30º of advance,, spot on with Honda specs..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does this mean a 85-87 Honda Rebel CDI box would work in my 2013 Peace Sports 150cc chinese scooter which I have recently discovered doesn't advance its spark plug timing with rpms . My present CDI box is a "Universal" six pin alternating current replacement box I ordered online from VMC online parts supplier for scooters. I've been thinking if I could just find another CDI box that had even ten degrees of advancement built in how much that would help my scoot which performs kind of doggy; but wouldn't 30 degrees you guys are talking about be too much advancement?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Does this mean a 85-87 Honda Rebel CDI box would work in my 2013 Peace Sports 150cc chinese scooter which I have recently discovered doesn't advance its spark plug timing with rpms . My present CDI box is a "Universal" six pin alternating current replacement box I ordered online from VMC online parts supplier for scooters. I've been thinking if I could just find another CDI box that had even ten degrees of advancement built in how much that would help my scoot which performs kind of doggy; but wouldn't 30 degrees you guys are talking about be too much advancement?
You might check into this adjustable CDI
https://www.partsforscooters.com/137-19-Naraku-Adjustable-CDI

1 - 11 of 11 Posts