Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody..

I've been gathering some info in order to make some small changes and maintenance to my old 86... and now.. it's time for the speedo...

I just saw this one on Ebay, which i think would look nice..

Cool LED Light Universal Odometer Speedometer Meter for Motorcycle KM H | eBay

Could you give me your thoughts if this one would work on my old 86..?? Do i need to change something electrical before..??? have plans to change rectifier for a better headlight.. but would be necessary for this speedo...?? Installation..??

Thnsk in advance..!!! :Thanx:

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
your electrical system should support that LED easily,I canged all my ancillary lighting to LED for the energy savings which allows me the use of heated clothing without draining my battery

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your electrical system should support that LED easily,I canged all my ancillary lighting to LED for the energy savings which allows me the use of heated cothing without drin my battery
Thanks BG.. so in this case.. what do i need to change..?? rectifier or more than that..???

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
you will need to adapt the mounting hardware.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you will need to adapt the mounting hardware.
Fine.. not big deal. :D i was concerned about electricty issues..

One more thing.. i see 02 wires with it.. is that all i need to attach..??

and also.. has the speedo cable a standard fit for all speedos.. or maybe in this case i should look for something else.. another cable...???

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
the two wires wil probably e just the lighting.I don't know if the cable size is universal

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the two wires wil probably e just the lighting.I don't know if the cable size is universal
Great.. thanks man... appreciate the comments..

I'll surf the threads.. maybe there's already something about aftermarket speedos and cables...

Thanks again...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Speedo Cable for an aftermark speedo...????

SO.. before i make this question i looked for some thread about it.. but i couldn't find it.. or maybe i'm just blind.. :D some of them talk about aftermark speedos or tachometers but they don't point the question i have..

Does anybody know if the speedo cable for the Rebel would fit in this kind of aftermark speedo..??? Is that "connector" that go to the speedo universal..??

Take a look at the link i posted to have the idea..

Thanks in advance folks.. :Thanx:

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
I can't tell if it will or not from the picture.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
What isn't specified is the ratio... Most mechanical cables should be standard, however the ration is important. IIRC the Rebel is around 1:2.7 . if you find a 2240:792 that will be about right (1:2.8)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I want a speedo like that already have the tach but i want the speedo to read mph and have to figure out how relocate ignition switch

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What isn't specified is the ratio... Most mechanical cables should be standard, however the ration is important. IIRC the Rebel is around 1:2.7 . if you find a 2240:792 that will be about right (1:2.8)
Totally right.. I´ll try to find out about the ratio.. or take a look of another similar speedo with that info...

Do you have a good option to show me..??? Just want to let you know i´m looking or something not too expensive.. :)

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
Do you have a good option to show me..??? Just want to let you know i´m looking or something not too expensive.. :)
Do a tag search for speedometer.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
Any digital speedo should work as long as the pick up can be mounted to rear wheel. I used an Acewell 2853. The pick up magnet was mounted in the rear wheel hub bolt which allowed me to remove the front speedo cable and work great and clean up the look even more.
I had tried a Vapor with poor results (Bad product, worse customer support ) And would not recommend. Most will run 150 -250...

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
I should add that a digital will allow for more accurate speed readings as well as the ability to calibrate if you change tire profile...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts