Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Any idea where the fancy-schmancy voltage controls might be? Internal to the alternator? Will forcing the alternator to generate maximum output damage the alternator, battery, or both?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,099 Posts
I would think 2015 Mahindra would have internal electronic voltage regulator
Seems to me max output would overcharge battery.
If momentary activation of alternator starts charging it would be my opinion output would vary depending on electrical load put on it and not run at max output all the time.
there are only a few alternator designs 1, 3, & 4, wire designs.
I see there is a 2 wire design used specifically with computer controlled vehicles.. It's a new one to me..
Internal voltage regulators are relatively easy to replace and far less expensive than entire alternator replacement..

·
Super Moderator
31,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Good to hear the regulator can be replaced, and not the entire alternator. If it is allowed to idle following warmup, and the battery is completely charged, what voltage reading at the battery would be normal/acceptable?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,099 Posts
I'd expect to see 14-14.5 volts at idle but alternators can vary at low speed.
what voltage do you get at 2500 rpm or higher? does volt output change much as rpm increases?
If you can, check voltage at alternator output terminal as there can be voltage drop between alternator and battery

21 - 24 of 24 Posts