Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked all over the oil filter bolt and could not find the 'bypass valve' that the service manual says to check for it to return when you push it. Inside the bolt there was a spring held in place by a 'cotter pin' toward the engine side and what appeared to be a simple, fitted, thick disk toward the outside/bolt head. The holes in the 'cylinder' of the filter bolt were clear. Does anyone happen to have a pic or two of an oil filter drain bolt for a 86 450?:confused:

I shoulda took some pics before I closed her up.:( rookie mistake:(

My oil was black and nasty, another point scored for the used bike 'stealership'!:mad:

Put in Spectro 20/50 semi synthetic motorcycle oil and a magnetic drain bolt.;)

Took her for a short evening spin, and (of course) she seems to sound better. No leaks!:D

I will be doing all the maintenance I can(with the help of Jack and all you Rebel-ers!) on my own because its more cost effective and I like working on my bike, its almost theraputic.:)

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
You found the bypass valve! The disc held in place with the spring was it. If the spring was holding it in place then it was working correctly. The holes in the bolt are the bypass oil passages.:D

The way it works is this- if the oil filter screen gets clogged enough, the oil pump suction overcomes the spring tension which lifts and allows the oil to be sucked in through the bolt and to the pump. It still allows oil to be pumped to the engine, but now it's not filtered.

Just remember that any oil you add should be free of additives!:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I looked all over the oil filter bolt and could not find the 'bypass valve' that the service manual says to check for it to return when you push it. Inside the bolt there was a spring held in place by a 'cotter pin' toward the engine side and what appeared to be a simple, fitted, thick disk toward the outside/bolt head. The holes in the 'cylinder' of the filter bolt were clear. Does anyone happen to have a pic or two of an oil filter drain bolt for a 86 450?:confused:

I shoulda took some pics before I closed her up.:( rookie mistake:(

My oil was black and nasty, another point scored for the used bike 'stealership'!:mad:

Put in Spectro 20/50 semi synthetic motorcycle oil and a magnetic drain bolt.;)

Took her for a short evening spin, and (of course) she seems to sound better. No leaks!:D

I will be doing all the maintenance I can(with the help of Jack and all you Rebel-ers!) on my own because its more cost effective and I like working on my bike, its almost theraputic.:)
Yes Jack has been a huge help to me down here too. I just changed my oil yesterday and did not take any pics either didn't know about that relief valve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts