Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have an 03 rebel that I bought with 19K on it. I have put 1K on it myself. I tried tightening the chain last night and ran into a problem I think. I tightened the chain per the manual and tightened the axel nut to 65 fp's. Took it for a very short ride and the chain was verey loose again. Could the chain just be to old? Help. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,858 Posts
Try adjusting it again and see if it loosens up. Did you have any problems with the adjuster on each side, including the jam nuts?

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Did you check the chain again after you tightened the axle? I always give the wheel a swift kick forward against the adjusters before tightening the axle, because it can move backward when loose.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did and there was no change. I actually checked the chain a few times durring the process and all seemed fine. One thing to note is when I check the chain deflection I get one reading, I roll the bike forward a few feet and get a totally different chain deflection reading. This does not seem right to me. Thoughts...

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
kinked chain. replace it. Sounds like some seized links.

If you grab the chain half way up the rear sprocket, how far out can you pull a link away from the sprocket?

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
That's pretty significant wear on the chain/sprocket. When it gets that bad the chain is really wearing the sprockets fast because the chain is going to ride up on the teeth to try to distribute the force in the chain on multiple teeth.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have had the same problem with my chain not staying tight.. I spoke with a guy at the dealer, and he told me that my tensioner may be bad. The chain is in the red zone and every time AI tighten it, it goes slack again. It is really loose this time. I am not sure if I should just buy the new chain and sprockets, or buy the tensioners also. I really do not have that kind of money right now, and I do not know anything about replacing the tensioners... Any suggestions? Ohh my bike has 13000 miles on it. Looks like original chain i suppose.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I believe that to remove the tensioners, you just have to pull the axle out and they should slide out. You just slide the new ones in.

You can find used ones on ebay for usually 20 bucks, give or take.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've always been under the impression that its the AXLE that maintains the tension that you adjust with the tensioners. Once you have it adjusted to the proper up and down play, there is no reason that the chain should develope slack except for wear/stretch or the axle not torqued to the proper setting, allowing the wheel to move forward. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
29,858 Posts
I'm tryng to visualize how the tensioners could go bad. Would think it's more likely the chain may have some frozen links.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
the chain is probably just worn out.. The tensioners are just mechanical bolts with jam nuts on them. Are the jam nuts staying tight so the tensioners can't move from where you left them? If so there's nothing wrong with the tensioners.
Try pulling the chain away from the rear sprocket about halfway up the back side. A new chain will not move at all. If it comes away more than 1/8 inch or so you need a new chain. Do not try to run it until it breaks. That's very dangerous and can seriously damage the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts