Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The continuation.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Excellent info, especially for noobs like me. I'm a bit unclear though about keeping the wheel aligned straight and true. Do you do this by sight, or??

·
Registered
842 Posts
Thanks. Mine looks wrong, then. The right side has no adjustment rod sticking out. Also, the right axel nut on mine is 17mm, the left is 18mm. Should I get this fixed?

·
Banned
662 Posts
Step 1A. Loosen Rear Brake Torsion Rod Nut (12mm). No need to remove cotter Key.

Step 7A. Torque Rear Brake Torsion Rod nut.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Step 1A. Loosen Rear Brake Torsion Rod Nut (12mm). No need to remove cotter Key.

Step 7A. Torque Rear Brake Torsion Rod nut.
I have never done these steps when adjusting the chain. is there a reason for it?

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent info, especially for noobs like me. I'm a bit unclear though about keeping the wheel aligned straight and true. Do you do this by sight, or??
If the studs are the same length, then the wheel would be pretty darn close in alignment.

@ boblamb58, it sounds like the original nut was lost. It's "special" in that it is self locking, without lockwashers.

@ Soul Searcher, the brake assembly rotates freely enough without taking the torsion bar nut off.

·
Banned
662 Posts
Pivit Point.....

@ Soul Searcher, the brake assembly rotates freely enough without taking the torsion bar nut off.
I posted Step 1A. Loosen Rear Brake Torsion Rod Nut (12mm). No need to remove cotter Key.

Not Remove It.

I have never done these steps when adjusting the chain. is there a reason for it?
It's a rotary rubber washer friction pivot point with a torqued fastner.

Your call, not mine.

Just something I do when I adjust the Chain on my Rebel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What is the torque specs for the axel nut?

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your worried about ruining the rubber washer, here's some addenda. No torque spec listed.

Attachments

·
Banned
662 Posts
Just Something to Think About.

Thanks Guba, You're a Gentleman, and a Scholar.

This is Most Appreciated.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Excellent write up and pics for someone who wants to do the job right.:thumb:

·
Banned
662 Posts
Standard Fasteners Torque Specs.

If your worried about ruining the rubber washer, here's some addenda. No torque spec listed.
For Non-Listed Torque Specs, use the chart below. From OEM Honda Service Manual.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I just wanted to give a big thanks to this forum and Guba for this thread. Due to some modification my chain became loose and I was nervous about tightening it. I was even planning to bring it to a local guy who I SWORE I'd never bring my bike to because he's a bike snob. After reading this and doing it I am so glad I didn't bring it in. Thanks for helping out by posting these instructions. This forum rocks!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
speaking of the chain...how much should i oil it?...Should all that black gunk be on there or should I scub it clean and spray with chain oil? If so ...how often should this be done? Thanks....sorry if this question sounds stupid..I just dont know.

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
Clean it and spray with DuPont Dry Wax chain lubricant. It won't attract dirt like oil and grease do. Respray every 300-500 miles or so.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ok so I'm confused, do ya have to loosen torsion bar nut?
Owners manual says nothing about doing that when adjusting the chain

1 - 20 of 122 Posts