Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
National Cycle's Streetshield EX. Corbin Saddle. Tourmaster Saddlebags.
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 12,200 miles on my bike's chain and sprockets. My chain was making noises so I stopped by the shop and said I thought I'd narrowed it down to the chain, but why would the chain be "knocking"? . After riding it, the mechanic verified it was the chain and said that was an easy fix.............my chain was loose. When he finished adjusting it he mentioned It needed replacing along with the sprockets.

Okay..........I'm no motorcycle mechanic and don't know what might cause the chain to stretch. When I got the bike I cleaned the OEM chain squeaky clean and lubed it with spray dry lube. The bike only had 1200 miles on it at that point. I've wiped it with a rag once or twice in the 12,200 miles and resprayed some lube on it. That's been all the maintenance it's had. So my question is, what would cause my chain to stretch to the point of needing replacing in 12,200 miles? It's been mentioned to me that some folks get 20,000 miles out of a chain. :eek:

Since I know little to nothing about all of this stuff, flightcontrol has been helping me decide what I need in the way of parts to get the job done. So just got all of that ordered. Ought to be an interesting project since I'm like Shultzy............"I know nutting". :LOL:

Do you guys prefer/recommend petroleum based or paraffin based (Dry) lubes for the chain? I know some say sprays that are Teflon based are the best.

I'm still disappointed to have a chain stretched to a point of needing replacement in just 12,200 miles and want to know what I've done wrong. So any comments will be appreciated. :unsure:

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
If it's an old fashioned chain, it doesn't have O-rings or x-rings. The o-ring chain lasts longer, and the X-Ring chain lasts even longer than that. I like the brand Niche because they are inexpensive and they are X-Ring chains, and I usually get about 15,000 without doing any maintenance whatsoever, or about 20K to 25K if I do the proper maintenance.
It's also been recommended by some of us old timers to let it soak in gear lube overnight before installation.

Reactions: GypsyDeb

· Premium Member
1987 rebel 2004 sportster
503 Posts
Kudos for putting over 10k on your rebel! In stead of thinking of what you have done wrong, I will say that having a great running rebel at this point means that you have done the important things right :)

· Registered
173 Posts
Good video on checking a chain. I got about 25,000 on my Honda 750 Shadow and changed it just because of its age. Really don't think it was gone.

Reactions: ttandlt3

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that IS a good video on chains.

Still can't figure out why my chain is having to be replaced at 12,000 miles. I've already been told my lack of maintenance could be one reason. But am I taking off from stops too quickly? Would that stretch a chain?

· Super Moderator
32,891 Posts
Thanks, that IS a good video on chains.

But am I taking off from stops too quickly? Would that stretch a chain?
Had to smile when I read this. I don't think the rebel 250 can stretch a chain, even with its awesome power. :rolleyes: :greatjob:

Reactions: Emil

· Super Moderator
32,891 Posts
The chain is worn. As it wears, it gets longer. Many refer to it as stretching, but I think that terminology is misleading. The most common cause of rapid chain wear is inadequate maintenance.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
"Inadequate maintenance". Okay, I know for a fact I didn't maintain it. Never cleaned it and only oiled it twice in it's lifetime I think. My own durned fault. Oh well, all the replacement parts on due here next Tuesday and I'll get everything replaced. Then I'll take your advice and clean and lube it every 500 miles. At the rate I'm puttin' miles on this thing, I'll be cleaning and lubing it a lot. I had a nifty chain cleaning apparatus when I had my road bike (bicycle). Are there any tools like that for maintaining the motorcycle chain?

· Super Moderator
32,891 Posts
They make a product called a Grunge Brush. Chain Brush Motorcycle Cycling Bike Crankset Grunge Brush Cleaner Cleaning Tool | eBay I bought one but never used it as it was going to splatter solvent and crud off the chain all over the rear wheel and floor.

I wet a small rag with diesel fuel (lamp oil or kerosene also work well) and rub it over the chain until the rag no longer picks up dirt. Then a dry rag to soak up any remaining solvent. Once the chain is dry, I spray it with lubricant. FYI, this is what I use, but there are many good lubricants available. Liquid Performance Chain Lube 11 oz. 0231 | eBay

· Registered
173 Posts
With the new o-ring chains, oiling it every 500 miles shouldn't be needed. The purpose of the o-ring is to keep the original lubricant inside the links and not exposed to water, dirt , etc. I keep mine clean--on my 750 Shadow and the Rebel--an oil it occassionally. Yes, I think that a worn out chain and sproket at 12,000 miles is not normal. I would think that 25,000 or more is more normal unless it is being abused.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They make a product called a Grunge Brush. Chain Brush Motorcycle Cycling Bike Crankset Grunge Brush Cleaner Cleaning Tool | eBay I bought one but never used it as it was going to splatter solvent and crud off the chain all over the rear wheel and floor.

I wet a small rag with diesel fuel (lamp oil or kerosene also work well) and rub it over the chain until the rag no longer picks up dirt. Then a dry rag to soak up any remaining solvent. Once the chain is dry, I spray it with lubricant. FYI, this is what I use, but there are many good lubricants available. Liquid Performance Chain Lube 11 oz. 0231 | eBay
Thanks, flitecontrol. I ordered a couple of grunge brushes on Amazon last night just before I turned off the computer. Just got on the forum so am just now seeing your post this morning . Thanks for the tip about the chain lube. Either you told me what kind of lube you use or someone else did because I've got a link to it on my desktop. Thank-ya kindly for that. All my stuff is on the way and I'll get my bike back to where it should be. I may end up making a Damascus knife out of my old chain. (always like making something out of discarded stuff!) :ROFLMAO:(y)

· Registered
CMX 250, 1996
87 Posts
Mhhhh don't know what Type of Chains you got in the USA but I would say, that 12000 miles is not that short of a lifespan for a chain.
More so, if it was not maintenanced well.
Riding often in Rain, Dirt etc. makes maintenance needed more often to.
If you only lubed it two times in all those miles, then you may have run it many, many miles without proper lubrication.
Therefore I find it a absolutely average lifespan.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OEM chain put on it at factory when the bike was new. I don't ride on the dirt and have only been caught in the rain one time and had to ride 5 miles in it. So the only "mistreatment" was done by me by not cleaning and lubricating it. I'll definitely do all of that with this new set of sprockets and new chain.

· Super Moderator
32,891 Posts
Mhhhh don't know what Type of Chains you got in the USA but I would say, that 12000 miles is not that short of a lifespan for a chain.
More so, if it was not maintenanced well.
Riding often in Rain, Dirt etc. makes maintenance needed more often to.
If you only lubed it two times in all those miles, then you may have run it many, many miles without proper lubrication.
Therefore I find it a absolutely average lifespan.
His chain is the one Honda put on at the factory, so probably a Daido. There are a multitude of chains available here. They range in quality from junk to excellent. I ordered what was advertised as a DID chain on Ebay. It failed in 4,000 miles. I contacted DID and learned it was a Chinese knock off, complete with a perfect copy of the DID box!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts