Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an issue and I don’t really know where to start. I have a 2000 250 that hasn’t been cared for to much. But the problem is the chain falls off. Admittedly the chain hasn’t been cleaned and oiled in a while but If I put the chain on to the correct tightness the bike will drive great but if I stop at a light or something won’t roll even with the clutch in, won’t go into neutral either however it will go again as is should once the light changes... If I keep the chain loose the bike drives and shift beautifully, rolls like it should with the clutch pulled and I’ll go into neutral until the chain pops off.

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
How much tension/slack are you adjusting the chain to? A too tight chain shouldn't keep the bike from rolling with the clutch lever pulled. How much free play is there at the end of the clutch lever before resistance is felt? Is it possible the rear brake is adjusted too tight? That could keep it from rolling when stopped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I adjust the chain to like an 1 to 1.5 inch slack then it all locks up, but it still rideable. It’ll go through the gears smoothly but when stopped for whatever reason it won’t roll! but if I leave it loose it also works beautifully... until the chain pops off again. Slack in the clutch lever hasn’t changed that I know of. It shifts through gears very smoothly with the chain properly adjusted or loose.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
the chain pops off? how completely worn out is your rear sprocket? we need pics!!!

·
Premium Member
On 2 wheels: 1998 - Rebel 250, 1980 - CB125, 1982 - CM125, 1980 - CM200, 1987 - Yamaha FZ750
50 Posts
Maybe a very mis-aligned wheel/chain, or defective wheel-bearing?

·
Registered
128 Posts
There are guide lines on the swing arm assure they are on the same lines on both sides. If you turn the the adjusting nuts to tighten the chain that will also tighten the rear brake, you then have to also release the brake tension by one turn (notch). You may be at the point of new chain and sprockets I had to replace mine. You must replace all three parts as an assembly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree with DNMenzies1, sounds like a rear brake issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts