Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had combed through some early posts on adding a center stand to a Rebel 250. Many people said to use a cylinder block, wood, and carpet for repairs.

I however have always been concerned about having a bike on the side stand all the time. I was always told to make sure to keep my bike on the center stand so that there is even pressure with the fluids.

Someone had at one point talked about using the center stand from a CM250, but I really do not understand the mod. Some people said that they found an after market stand, but I cannot find that either.

There was even soe discussion of a friend of a friend using something from a Honda 350 of some sort.

I also park my bike in a very narrow area so a center stand would be very useful. Any information on the subject or how to install the mod would be grateful. If someone was selling the mod, i would be interested.

·
Super Moderator
29,858 Posts
A forum member was making bolt on aluminum center stands for $75, and I bought one of the first. For one reason or another, there weren't many takers and he quit making them. The CM250 center stand will work, but it involves welding to the frame. You'd need a fixed/welded sleeve for the stand to rotate on. 1982 HONDA CM250C CUSTOM CENTER MAIN STAND 50500-KB4-000 50540-KB4-670 | eBay

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A forum member was making bolt on aluminum center stands for $75, and I bought one of the first. For one reason or another, there weren't many takers and he quit making them. The CM250 center stand will work, but it involves welding to the frame. You'd need a fixed/welded sleeve for the stand to rotate on. 1982 HONDA CM250C CUSTOM CENTER MAIN STAND 50500-KB4-000 50540-KB4-670 | eBay
i know how to cut with an acetylene torch, but I have never welded, nor do I have access to that equipment.

Are there any bolt on options? I have played with fabrication for small stuff, but it would be good to get experience from someone who has had success making this work.

·
Super Moderator
29,858 Posts
No bolt ons that I know of.

·
Super Moderator
29,858 Posts
What holes are you referring to? I'm not really all that familiar with the CM250, but I did purchase a center stand for one a few years back, and subsequently sold it. From what I recall, the sleeve at the top of the stand may have slid over bolt number 7 or 8 in this diagram (or possibly the tube that's between them in the diagram). 1982 Honda CM250C A FRAME | Cheap Cycle Parts

Someone with that model might be able to clarify.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I lioked today and there is nothing to slide over.

even with welding, this will be hairy because of the exhaust. It will hit, so I would have to fabricate a stopper. I was thinking of making a piece so I can bolt to the front peg bots, but that is super wide.

I was talking about the tube.

·
Super Moderator
29,858 Posts
New Member TonyV has a CM250. You might want to contact him and learn more about the center stand. IIRC, the CM center stand should clear the Rebel exhaust, and it has a rubber stopper on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There seem to be plenty of cm250 center stands on ebay. Just not sure how to attach it. I also have 2 exhaust on one side. I can try to contact him for specs on the stand though.

·
Super Moderator
29,858 Posts
It would help if he could post a picture of how it attaches to the frame. Then, possibly a member with fabrication skills, such as 01-7700 (hint, hint), could make the needed part(s) and sell them. If it could be bolted on, that would be great!

Reactions: 01-7700

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would help if he could post a picture of how it attaches to the frame. Then, possibly a member with fabrication skills, such as 01-7700 (hint, hint), could make the needed part(s) and sell them. If it could be bolted on, that would be great!
yes indeedy

·
Super Moderator
3,930 Posts
I have a center stand from an '85 CB650 that I was going to install on my Rebel - never got around to it. The best way in my opinion would be to weld two hinge points on the underside of the frame and a place to mount the spring. A bolt-on solution would be more involved but doable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a center stand from an '85 CB650 that I was going to install on my Rebel - never got around to it. The best way in my opinion would be to weld two hinge points on the underside of the frame and a place to mount the spring. A bolt-on solution would be more involved but doable.
you mean like drilling through the frame or using existing bolts?

·
Super Moderator
3,930 Posts
more like a clamp-on bracket that would secure the stand to the bottom of the frame - removable without damaging the frame

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
more like a clamp-on bracket that would secure the stand to the bottom of the frame - removable without damaging the frame
is there any difference with a cb 650 versus a cm 250 stand as far as installation goes?

I thought of doing it with a clamp, but I was concerned that over time the clamp would swing back and the bike would fall off the stand.

·
Super Moderator
3,930 Posts
is there any difference with a cb 650 versus a cm 250 stand as far as installation goes?

I thought of doing it with a clamp, but I was concerned that over time the clamp would swing back and the bike would fall off the stand.
the cb650 has tabs welded to the frame to hold the stand

a properly designed and built clamp would not swing back

·
Super Moderator
29,858 Posts
Modem went out five days ago and just got a replacement. The custom center stand I have bolts onto the frame and hasn't moved or come loose in the many years I've had it. It does have lock nuts securing the pipe clamps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Modem went out five days ago and just got a replacement. The custom center stand I have bolts onto the frame and hasn't moved or come loose in the many years I've had it. It does have lock nuts securing the pipe clamps.
could you send me pictures? Different angles please! Especially how it looks on and off the center stand, where it hits when it is off, and how it is bolted on.

·
Super Moderator
29,858 Posts
I'll try, but I'm a technological dinosaur. For some reason, when downloading pictures to this new computer, it puts them in files without asking for a file name, which is really frustrating. And it doesn't necessarily put them in the pictures folder.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts