Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the shape of the gas tank it seems that water has flowed toward the seat and rusted the tank on my 86 Rebel, such that there are twin pinhole leaks on or near the seams; one on the bottom right and the other on the bottom left of the tank.

These are not big leaks and right now it looks like they are the only two. There is a bit of rust inside that needs dealing with (I'm using Evaporust) and I am planning on coating the tank with Caswell Phenolac Sealer without brazing the holes.

The paint is okay (a little bubble) over the leaks, and they are the only blemish on the otherwise beautiful paint job.

My question:

Is there a good chance of success at blocking the leak doing what I propose, or is there a greater chance of failure?

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
If you follow the directions on the Caswell sealer, you have an excellent chance at sealing those holes permanently.

They will have you tape over the holes so the sealer doesn't run out.
I had more pin hols than that on the Virago tank. Caswell has been holding well for about two years.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, BG.

60.00 for the kit and the cost of the Evaporust ALMOST hits the cost of new replacement (non-OEM) tank, but my girlfriend really likes the paint scheme on Newt, so it is worth a try.

I was actually thinking of trying an aircraft putty sealer on the holes instead of tape, but that certainly adds to both the cost and complexity of the repair

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
I used some JB weld on the outside to block the holes but I had to repaint anyway.
If you are going to preserve the paint, tape may work best and follow the wrapping directions that come with the Caswell sealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts