Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anybody out there was an 86 Honda Rebel 450 has done the keihin to minuki carburator change, if so please give me as much information as you possibly can . The honda dealer has destroyed two sets of keihin carbs and I am at my wits end . My bike only has 1400 miles on it and only 500 of that is mine . Thank you for any help you can render !

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
Welcome to the forum
Not aware of anyone that has converted..
The throttle cable setup is going to be a problem. Choke may be too.
In what way was the Keihin carbs destroyed?
cleaning and rebuilding is rather strait forward

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They put both sets in an ultrasonic cleaner something took the float valve seat out of both left-hand carburetors so when I got them back both left hand carburetors leaked. I don't exactly know what they did but both sets of carburetors are junk now

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
Never heard of an ultrasonic cleaner doing that on one, much less two carbs. I'm thinking a machine shop ought to be able to fix both seats without too much expense, and I'd be wondering why it happened on two carbs from the same dealership. Maybe it was something the dealership did and they should cover it?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
several members including myself have found polishing float valve seat with Q-tip dipped in automotive paint rubbing compound ends leaking float valve..
If pitted than yes they are junk.. I'd be seeing dealership in small claims court in that case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never heard of an ultrasonic cleaner doing that on one, much less two carbs. I'm thinking a machine shop ought to be able to fix both seats without too much expense, and I'd be wondering why it happened on two carbs from the same dealership. Maybe it was something the dealership did and they should cover it?
The dealer tells me that the seats can't be replaced so can a machine shop build a new seat or repair the one that's there and in my opinion yes I think let the dealership should at least give me my money back on rebuilding the carburetors that was $300 but I was thinking about going to Mikuni's because they're supposed to be easier to work on apparently no one that has done the conversion

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
I would think a shop could fill the hole where the seat mounts then drill it out so the old seat can be pressed into place. Alternatively, they could make a new seat that is slightly larger in diameter. I moved your post to the 450 section. I agree you ought to get at least some of your money back. If the dealership doesn't agree, I would first go to the local Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. The BBB will then contact them. If they don't try to make things right, they could get a lower rating from the BBB. There's no cost going through BBB.

If that's not an option, you could consider suing them in small claims court. You would need to have a knowledgeable mechanic lined up to testify that having two seats come out is practically unheard of, if it comes to that.

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
The dealer tells me that the seats can't be replaced so can a machine shop build a new seat or repair the one that's there and in my opinion yes I think let the dealership should at least give me my money back on rebuilding the carburetors that was $300 but I was thinking about going to Mikuni's because they're supposed to be easier to work on apparently no one that has done the conversion
The dealer is right, they can't replace them. Sounds like they can't do much of anything else right either. A machine shop would have several tricks to restore those seats or replace them. It's not really rocket surgery.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
Before looking for machinist to create or rework your valve seat I recommend that you remove float bowl and polish valve seat..
This fella used metal polish in his YouTube video..
While the seat isn't removable on our bikes the procedure is the same..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would think a shop could fill the hole where the seat mounts then drill it out so the old seat can be pressed into place. Alternatively, they could make a new seat that is slightly larger in diameter. I moved your post to the 450 section. I agree you ought to get at least some of your money back. If the dealership doesn't agree, I would first go to the local Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. The BBB will then contact them. If they don't try to make things right, they could get a lower rating from the BBB. There's no cost going through BBB.

If that's not an option, you could consider suing them in small claims court. You would need to have a knowledgeable mechanic lined up to testify that having two seats come out is practically unheard of, if it comes to that.
Thank you so much like control oh, I really do appreciate all of your information and believe me I will follow up on some of your suggestions hopefully not having to go to small claims court because we know it'll take forever to get paid but nonetheless it is a good option I reckon but thank you for your time and keep her between the ditches
Before looking for machinist to create or rework your valve seat I recommend that you remove float bowl and polish valve seat..

I thank you for your response but apparently the Honda dealer has already done that and polish the seat all the way away from the needle so the needle can no longer make contact or plugged the hole but like I said I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help me with my problem
16268908690795330230024332576505.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Notice how much shinier the left side is than the right side although the image is switched around

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
yes I see left side is shinier.. Don't see any burs or pits..
How does the rubber seat of needle look?

Float height adjustment may solve the problem..
being a plastic Non-adjustable float a little ingenuity and heat to bend plastic tab needle hangs from will be needed to change float level position..
I know Honda recommends replacement of float if height isn't within spec..

Has the dealer attempted to replace float? 16013-KR3-980
Rebel CMX450 float height specs below

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
Did the dealer polish the float valve seat on both carbs? If yes, I think I'm seeing a common thread here. It's possible a tech did something that caused the seats to loosen while polishing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

being a plastic Non-adjustable float a little ingenuity and heat to bend plastic tab needle hangs from will be needed to change float level position..

View attachment 110841
Yeah buddy I got you I got one I can try some crap on and if it doesn't work out then I still got to another set I can carry the Machine Shop

·
Registered
260 Posts
It completely baffles me that there are such problems over such a simple thing.....

I did a whole bunch of carburetors the last 2,5years and never had any with floater/needle problems. Just that one with 2 different needles.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did the dealer polish the float valve seat on both carbs? If yes, I think I'm seeing a common thread here. It's possible a tech did something that caused the seats to loosen while polishing.
You know I did not think about that that's a possibility but I like the way you think I will check into that I don't know

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

View attachment 110841
The needle will come with a rebuild kit whereas I don't believe the floats do so but I will look into that thanks a lot for your help and idea

·
Registered
86 450 rebel
15 Posts
Im doing a carb swap on my 450. I am not a fan of the stock carbs. Going to mikunis. Will post progress reports as i can.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Hey buddy I just wanted to say thanks because I do believe the mystery has been solved, instead of using a jewelry cleaner they used a compound which of course takes metal out the same as sandpaper would but at a much lower rate and therefore I believe that they use a Q-tip in a drill with the compound and took the bottom out of the flute C instead of using jewelry cleaner thank you very much for that video and I hope you have a great day
Im doing a carb swap on my 450. I am not a fan of the stock carbs. Going to mikunis. Will post progress reports as i can.:)
I read an article from Member old school that he was working up the full kit for the minukiswap and he said that the front of the carburetor had to be cut down to fit into the stock boots and the venture has had to be cut down as well to fit into the air box if you were going to go that route course you can always run pods but I look forward to your post and I wish you lots of luck so it look forward to hearing from you I'm interested anyway

1 - 19 of 19 Posts