Honda Rebel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 09 cmx250c9. The carb on it is in rather bad shape. I'm not knowledgeable enough to do a rebuild on it so I bout a dual carb set up thinking it would be a bolt on and go. Boy was I wrong. Anyway, could someone point me to a place I can get a rebuilt or new single carb that would be a direct replacement for the oem one on the bike please.
I will eventually rebuild the one i have now but id like to continue riding and also have a spare for whenever I inevitably mess up the rebuild.
I also need a replacement boot from the airbox to the carb but can not seem to find one anywhere.

On a side note id really like to install the dual carb but can not find any tutorials on how to do so, any information on that would be helpful to. Thanks for the help ahead of time.
i am 73 and never rebuilt a carburetor. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube and rebuilt my son-in-laws 1982 and it now runs well, although it wants to rev high before it idles down. Vacuum leak, I am told. If you can replace a carb you can rebuild one. I ended up with an extra kit you can have for postage. I am not sure how you could get in touch with me. Maybe PM me through Facebook? Not sure how this forum works. Rob Houchin

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
@Houchin only reason imho not to rebuild carb is if hard parts are unavailable..
Spray can of carb cleaner can help locate vacuum leak while engine is running.. WD40 works too, but then you have to clean it off.

Members can DM each other by going to another members page and clicking/tapping Start conversation..
Always a good idea to note on forum thread a DM/PM has been sent..
i've missed a couple of messages because system didn't notify me.

·
Super Moderator
30,191 Posts
The "notification" you have a message is a small red dot next to your user name. It's easily overlooked.

Reactions: DWisen

·
Registered
2009 CMX 250
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So, I took the carb apart and soaked it for 2 days.
When I pulled everything out I noticed this little o-ring but I don't have a clue where it goes.
I cant find it on any of the diagrams.
How screwed am I? O-ring

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is no 0 ring in the rebuild kit, which I find surprising. You would think that O rings would be replaced. Are you a member of the Honda Rebel Facebook page? You might post it there and see If someone can help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I pulled everything out I noticed this little o-ring but I don't have a clue where it goes.
How screwed am I? O-ring
i should have told you to take pictures as you go. Especially of the cables.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How screwed am I? O-ring
I am on FB messenger. It might be easier to communicate. Rob Houchin. My picture is an old dude player a guitar.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
one o-ring seals mixture screw second o-ring is used on float bowl drain screw
3rd o-ring is molded into float bowl seal on 2nd gen and came separate with 1st gen carb kits..

place spring followed by steel washer than o-ring on mixture screw and insert into carb body..
steel washer keeps sharp spring end from digging into o-ring..
this is the o-ring that most often doesn't come out without using some kind of pick during disassembly.
Straightened paperclip with 1/16"- 1/8" L bend at one end works in a pinch..

Float bowl drain screw o-ring keeps fuel from seeping past threads when drain screw opened..

Reactions: MaconMan77

·
Registered
2009 CMX 250
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
one o-ring seals mixture screw second o-ring is used on float bowl drain screw
3rd o-ring is molded into float bowl seal on 2nd gen and came separate with 1st gen carb kits..

place spring followed by steel washer than o-ring on mixture screw and insert into carb body..
steel washer keeps sharp spring end from digging into o-ring..
this is the o-ring that most often doesn't come out without using some kind of pick during disassembly.
Straightened paperclip with 1/16"- 1/8" L bend at one end works in a pinch..

Float bowl drain screw o-ring keeps fuel from seeping past threads when drain screw opened..
I just got a rebuild kit and that gasket I was questioning was included but I still don't understand where it goes.
There was a metal on, that I placed on the air fuel mix pin.
The larger one I placed on the fuel drain.
But the smaller one, I can not figure out where it goes and I don't see it in the diagram or in any rebuild videos.
There was also another piece that came with the kit I haven't a clue where it goes.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
believe it's the Mixture screw o-ring
Place spring on mixture screw followed by metal washer than #1 o-ring

The unknown part is #2 Needle Jet.. Old one may be stuck in carb body..
It sits atop #22 Needle Jet holder into which #35 main jet screws
Observe proper orientation as noted below

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
I should mention the 2nd gen Rebel parts fiche is in error for all years 96-2016 concerning the Needle Jet placement..
compair the following correct 1st gen Rebel parts fiche to the one posted above.. Parts #2 Needle Jet + Needle in both images

·
Registered
2009 CMX 250
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Okay, I got all that and put it all back together. Went and installed it, turned on fuel and its pouring fuel from the air intake side.
This thing is driving me insane!!!

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
float valve is stuck open,, you might try banging on bowl side with screwdriver handle.. gut says you will need to open it up to see where the hang up is..

fuel should also be draining out bowl overflow tube attached to bottom of float bowl.. if it isn't your float bowl overflow is plugged as well..

·
Registered
2009 CMX 250
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
float valve is stuck open,, you might try banging on bowl side with screwdriver handle.. gut says you will need to open it up to see where the hang up is..

fuel should also be draining out bowl overflow tube attached to bottom of float bowl.. if it isn't your float bowl overflow is plugged as well..
Problem existed with the operator.... 😂🤣😂🤣
I hooked the gas line up to the wrong port...

Anyways, thanks to all of the help from everyone involved throughout this whole process. It's definitely been a HUGE learning experience. The good news is that I rebuilt and installed the carburetor and my bike is running great!
Again, thanks so much for everyone helping me out, it really means a lot. This community is simply the best!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts