Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner

Carburetor disassembly & reassembly

214K views 256 replies 76 participants last post by  flitecontrol 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This post will show you how to disassemble and reassemble the carb on the rebel. Please note that this does not cover complete disassembly for cleaning a carb. This is covered in the numerous posts which follow. The carb shown is a '96 & up rebel carb.

Lets start with a complete carb as see in the attachments.

Attachments

See less See more
#40 ·
I took apart my carb last summer and soaked it in mineral spirits for 24 hours. Ever since then fuel doesn't gravity feed as well to the carb anymore, it just slowly trickles (bike came with a transparent fuel line).

If you pull out the fuel line to the carb gas just flows out so I know I don't have a clogged petcock. Any ideas? Did I over tighten something?

#47 ·
sounds like a sticking float valve.

#50 ·
Cheap insurance would be a new needle.

#51 ·
Carb removal

OK, I'm a knucklehead, but I can't get the carb off my 06 250 Rebel. I have everything loose but the carb won't slide back enough to clear the 2 mounting studs before it hits the air duct. At least I think that's what's stopping it. What am I missing?

thanks

~Marc

#52 ·
Pull the air duct or (my preferred method) push it back into the airbox enough to allow carb removal. Lubricating things with WD-40 makes it easier to slide the boot.

Reactions: oceanin
#55 ·
Basically, when you think it's clean... clean it again and again.

#60 ·
I figured out the black, plastic-knob is the idle adjuster as it contols the at-rest position of the throttle. I'm talking about the metal adjuster that only turns about 290 degrees as it has a stop on the float bowl. The location suggests it's an air control, but how is it used?

I opened it up and the idle speed increased so I then adjusted the idle knob, but I suspect there is a "proper" way to use this adjustment.

Obviously the main jet controls the amount of fuel along with the needle which can be shimmed. My '06 is completely stock and only has 850 miles on it. I live at sea -level if that makes a differerence.

thanks for your help

~Marc

#61 ·
There is very little adjustment on that unless you take off the tab. I always just keep it in the middle of it's short travel. No reason to remove the tab unless you are changing jets and doing other non stock mods.

#62 ·
2 questions:
how do you get the pin out, that the float hinges on, so you can get the float out?
if you were lazy, could you blow out the jets on the carb, without unscrewing them...?
(my bro-in-law has lent me a compressor)

#63 ·
I used a pair of micro needle nose pliers and pulled it right out. Just blowing compressed air through the carb may not get the varnish/trash out. I would soak the carb in a dunk bucket and than blow the jets out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.