Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 05 250 Rebel

Bike won't idle without choke so I'm trying to clean the carb. Seafoam didn't seem to do much so going to clean whole thing.

Trying to remove it but can't get the 2 nuts that attach it to the engine. Tried PB blaster and everything. Nuts are just slipping and rounding, nothing grabbing and turning it.

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
Welcome. Use a six point box wrench. If you round off the heads, the only recourse is Vise Grips and new bolts. Liquid Wrench out performed PB Blaster in tests, and a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF beat them both. Have heard great things about Kroil too. I would apply the best solvent you can get 4-6 times over 24-36 hours. Put the box end on the bolts and rap the wrench handle with a dead blow hammer. You aren't trying to move the bolt a lot with the first blow, just loosen things up. Make sure you are turning the bolts counter clockwise. If that doesn't loosen the bolts, you can carefully apply heat (make sure nothing is going to catch fire!) or repeat the solvent/time/dead blow until it comes loose. Once it loosens the slightest bit, apply more solvent and tighten the bolt slightly. Alternate loosening, solvent, tightening until the bolt turns freely. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
On 2 wheels: 1998 - Rebel 250, 1980 - CB125, 1982 - CM125, 1980 - CM200, 1987 - Yamaha FZ750
46 Posts
Please remember Honda is metric...1/2" is the wrong tool... (try 12mm for the carb-nuts)

·
Premium Member
On 2 wheels: 1998 - Rebel 250, 1980 - CB125, 1982 - CM125, 1980 - CM200, 1987 - Yamaha FZ750
46 Posts
Thanks for correcting me...seems like Vise Grips or similar pliers are needed, and new nuts...

·
Super Moderator
3,768 Posts
looks like he's already visegripped the hex's off them nuts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like he's already visegripped the hex's off them nuts
I mean the wrench wasn't doing any good, so after I tried channelocks, and some other pliers...

I just put on some liquid wrench and try again tomorrow. And yeah...once they're off, im getting new nuts haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome. Use a six point box wrench. If you round off the heads, the only recourse is Vise Grips and new bolts. Liquid Wrench out performed PB Blaster in tests, and a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF beat them both. Have heard great things about Kroil too. I would apply the best solvent you can get 4-6 times over 24-36 hours. Put the box end on the bolts and rap the wrench handle with a dead blow hammer. You aren't trying to move the bolt a lot with the first blow, just loosen things up. Make sure you are turning the bolts counter clockwise. If that doesn't loosen the bolts, you can carefully apply heat (make sure nothing is going to catch fire!) or repeat the solvent/time/dead blow until it comes loose. Once it loosens the slightest bit, apply more solvent and tighten the bolt slightly. Alternate loosening, solvent, tightening until the bolt turns freely. Good luck.
Watched Project Farm video on this matter, seems like you're right, so i got some liquid wrench today. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
I mean the wrench wasn't doing any good, so after I tried channelocks, and some other pliers...
If the proper tool can't do the job, improper ones only make things worse.

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
Good to hear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One off the best tools you can have when owning a motor is an impact wrench. I restore vintage bikes and I use both a passive one and a power one. you also have to be patient and soak them good with W-D..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts