Honda Rebel Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CMX250C
4 Posts
SoakedKarma,
Your reputation of being very knowledgeable and helpful precedes you.
I'm not looking to get into a his said/he said internet battle. I am just trying give back to a forum where I have found a lot of useful information.
You are correct with the label float chamber/bowl vent, but as you know if the float valve sticks fuel will drain out of this tube. I have a 2006 CMX250C US model not a California model, so if you remove the P.C.V. in the diagram (looks like a Ca. model) you see all tubes will vent to the open (ground). The tube I labeled goes over the top of the carb and thru the bracket is correct.
My carb is a KEI HIN VE35C A. I don't know what the model of the carb in the post is or what it fits.
Thanks for you help.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
@tn2011 image is of 1st gen Rebel carb
I used it as hose nipples were easier to see than on this 2nd gen Rebel carb

Automotive tire Traffic light Gas Auto part Engineering

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
The tube shown going over the top of the carb has no connection to the carb itself. It goes from the lower right side of the engine, over the carb, and down on the left rear side. Never bothered to pull it loose to see its function, but on non-California models it has nothing to do with a carbon cannister.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
I'd be concerned there would be a unfiltered vacuum leak through the upper hose that would lean out air fuel mixture..

Gas Auto part Metal Titanium Machine

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
So what do you suggest be done with that hose, and what is its purpose??

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
So what do you suggest be done with that hose, and what is its purpose??
I've gone through all my oem Honda printed resources. dang little on vacuum/vent hoses
I'm not with my bike at this time to test hypothesis that the upper hose is an additional bowl vent that can connect to purge control valve or not and just be open to atmosphere..
This image I took while cleaning my carb makes me think the upper nipple may go into float bowl rather than throttle bore..
Gas Auto part Circle Metal Machine

if I had access to my bike I would blow into upper hose and see if breath was vented out the side vent nipple.. most Rebel carbs I've seen don't have the nipple on top of housing so I'm in a quandary..

The second generation Rebel shop manual is little help

Font Line Parallel Slope Auto part

but better than the 1988, 1995, 2004 or 2012 Honda Common Service Manuals which shows only dual or multi carb emission setup depending on year.. these do indicate carb vent connected to control valve

Rectangle Font Parallel Schematic Engineering

·
87 CMX250
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This may help others as to the tube/hose connections and routing. When I was looking it wasn't easy getting all the pieces.
I added my comments to a photo someone else posted.
Moderators if this is helpful perhaps a sticky section could be added to the forum.
Thx
View attachment 111460
Any idea where I can order new hoses? Also what is the benefit of the Y connector, carb overflow, and puke tubes? I literally didn't know those existed because my bike hasn't had them on since before I bought it from the previous owner.

·
Registered
2006 CMX250C
4 Posts
this is the hose in my diagram that's labeled goes over the top of carb. As flitecontrol said it doesn't connect to the carb. The hose should be available at any auto parts store, MC dealer or on the web.
The hose are different diameters and lengths. I'm not near my bike to measure them but the next time I go over there if you haven't had an answer by then I will attempt to get measurements. The Y joint connects two or three different diameter hoses.

Font Line Slope Parallel Auto part

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
@tn2011 I understand what you are saying yet two pages before that drawing in 2nd gen shop manual the side vent tube is shown going through bracket and over top cover..

Font Parallel Map Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
It's a vent tube for the carb overflow/carb drain hoses.

·
Registered
2006 CMX250C
4 Posts
Auguste I don't know which hoses you may be missing or want to replace. Any of the hoses referenced should be reusable unless they are severely dry rotted, cracked or split with the exception of the fuel line from the tank to the carb, you don't want fuel leaking so if this line is compromised, replace it. Any hose you need should be readily available used on this forums classified section from someone parting out pieces or at a cycle salvage site or craigslist or ebay. New from a dealer or auto/cycle parts store.

SoakedKarma I think our discussion has brought out some interesting discrepancies in the the various service manuals we use. The two diagrams you posted show different hose configurations. So I checked my Service manual (96-09) and under general information mine shows the same two diagrams. Under carburetor removal section the 3rd photo of the carb shows the same top right vent w/tube shown on the photo in your post (#24) marked 02 - 2. My carb doesn't have the top vent instead the body is plugged where that would be, so it seem it was eliminated sometime between '02 & '06.
I went back and looked at Auguste post #1 and the photo of his carb doesn't have the vent either. So if Auguste has an '87 model it either has a newer carb or the carb you posted is a California model and non California carbs have that hole plugged. flightcontrol made reference to Jayshah's photos which are very detailed and helpful, the carb ('09) in those photos also show the body plugged.
I hope Auguste resolves his issues.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
Yes my 87 is a California model with intact vapor recovery system..
Agreed there seems to be multiple hose configurations tn2001.

It appears @Auguste is only in need of float bowl drain/overflow hose running down below frame as there is already bowl vent hose.. if i remember correctly drain hose is 3.5mm inside diameter but 3/16" will work.. No need for Y connector if single hose used..

·
87 CMX250
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yes my 87 is a California model with intact vapor recovery system..
Agreed there seems to be multiple hose configurations tn2001.

It appears @Auguste is only in need of float bowl drain/overflow hose running down below frame as there is already bowl vent hose.. if i remember correctly drain hose is 3.5mm inside diameter but 3/16" will work.. No need for Y connector if single hose used..
That definitely clears things up. On a carb rebuild video I watched, the carb he fixed on his 86 rebel also had a slot for the top hose...mine does not. I don't seem to be having any issues with it the way it is, I was just curious. Thanks!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts