Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 CMX250 that has a carb problem.
the engine starts good without choke and runs great but giving it more gas it just bogs down like its
not getting more gas. I am looking for a rebuilt carb. has anyone got one that they would sell?

Thanks, Joe

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,113 Posts
Sounds like it's getting too much fuel. I don't think that you'd need too much "choke" fuel enrichment, there in Fla. But a cold engine often needs some. Check that the fuel enricher/choke isn't stuck on in some way.

Reactions: Markrkolb

·
Premium Member
2003 rebel 2004 sportster
196 Posts
You could watch YouTube videos and try a rebuild/clean yourself. If you are not up for that I think you are not too far from Jack’s rebels. I bet he could fix your carb.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,737 Posts
if you are unable to clean it yourself Jack's provides a mail in carb cleaning service

·
Super Moderator
31,333 Posts
I might have one but would have to check. Would sell it outright, but an exchange would be cheaper if you don't want to keep the old one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never use the choke, it always starts right away. I would send the carb to Jack to refurbish it.
What do you say Jack?

·
Registered
564 Posts
My view is as given below, but I might be wrong.
Both, rich and lean conditions lead to similar symptoms, engine not preforming well. Take your spark plugs off. If the plugs are fouled, you definitely have a rich condition. Otherwise, it's not getting enough fuel.

I would like to know that, with the information provided by the OP, how can we be sure that it's rich, and not lean? I shall appreciate answers that would educate me. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,737 Posts
Sounds to me the accelerator pump isn't working..
If it isn't working, when you hit the throttle the fuel mixture would lean out causing loss of power a flat spot or bogging you mention..

Take the air cleaner out, using a bright light and mirror view the accelerator jet for squirt of gas while manually depressing accelerator pump shaft or operating throttle..
There is a one way ball valve in bottom of accel pump assembly that can become stuck open causing pump to force fuel back into float bowl rather than out jet..
A couple of members here have found accelerator jet to be plugged causing lean condition upon acceleration..
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering part Alloy wheel Camera accessory

Reactions: Yaatri

·
Premium Member
2003 rebel 2004 sportster
196 Posts
I never use the choke, it always starts right away. I would send the carb to Jack to refurbish it.
What do you say Jack?
Jack is in Eustis, Florida almost 4 hours from you. If you click on the link that SK gave you all questions about his service are answered.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If it isn't working, when you hit the throttle the fuel mixture would lean out causing loss of power a flat spot or bogging you mention..

Take the air cleaner out, using a bright light and mirror view the accelerator jet for squirt of gas while manually depressing accelerator pump shaft or operating throttle..
There is a one way ball valve in bottom of accel pump assembly that can become stuck open causing pump to force fuel back into float bowl rather than out jet..
A couple of members here have found accelerator jet to be plugged causing lean condition upon acceleration..
View attachment 112350
That was my thinking too but did not want to challenge the the "too rich" notion advanced by more experienced member(s).

If it were too rich, plugs would show the evidence. If it's not rich, not being able to meet the sudden demand when you open the throttle is the only possibility.

Reactions: Emil

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That was my thinking too but did not want to challenge the the "too rich" notion advanced by more experienced member(s).

If it were too rich, plugs would show the evidence. If it's not rich, not being able to meet the sudden demand when you open the throttle is the only possibility.

View attachment 112350
How do remove the filter box, it seems to be on there quite solidly. I only see 2 very small screws inside the box.
Thanks, Joe

Thanks, Joe

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,113 Posts
You don't have to remove the filter box to remove the carburetor. If that's the reason why you're trying to figure out how to remove the filter box. You take the rubber boot between the carburetor and the Box, and you pop it outside in, into the box and you should have room to get the carb off.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,737 Posts
press the side of rubber boot in on itself forming a C and work the groove locking boot to air box wall loose.. Pull the boot into air box.
there appeared to be a rubber adhesive sealing groove to wall on my bike
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
What generation & what years?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Those are 1st gen 85-87 versions which are harder to find than 2nd gen 96-2016 carburetors.
Well, I got plenty of them.

Manifolds as well. If needed, I can send one along free of charge so it'll be plug-and-play on a second gen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

View attachment 112350
Well, I got plenty of them.

Manifolds as well. If needed, I can send one along free of charge so it'll be plug-and-play on a second gen.
The picture above is not like mine. At about 7 o'clock is a single brass tube that cannot be blown out or removed. I will see if I can get one from Jack. Thankyou for you're efforts.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,737 Posts
If you are viewing in mirror the jet will appear to be at about 7 o'clock as your view is reversed..
the accelerator pump (circled in red) is on right side thus non-removal brass accel jet must protrude into intake horn at about 5 o'clock position..
Gas Auto part Machine Heat-shrink tubing Cable

flitecontrol indicated he may have rebuilt 2nd gen carb as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts