Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2005 Rebel 250
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i noticed something was up when it was leaking gas and running rich, opened the airbox and gas spilled out. Rebuilt the carb then it was working just fine. FF 3 weeks or so of the bike sitting, i went to start it again and gas ahoy! it leaks without the engine running rich. (This is with the choke OFF and i didnt touch the mix screw when rebuilding) Needle valve is NOT stuck

· Premium Member
1987 rebel 2004 sportster
503 Posts
So i noticed something was up when it was leaking gas and running rich, opened the airbox and gas spilled out. Rebuilt the carb then it was working just fine. FF 3 weeks or so of the bike sitting, i went to start it again and gas ahoy! it leaks without the engine running rich. (This is with the choke OFF and i didnt touch the mix screw when rebuilding)
Sounds like an issue with the needle/seat in the carb. I will defer to the experts here who have far more expertise :)

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
Where is it leaking from? A tube, around the edge of the bowl? Where can explain a lot.
Oops! I just saw your title! Ha ha. Yes, it does sound like the needle valve. How did you verify this not to be the case?

· Registered
2005 Rebel 250
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is it leaking from? A tube, around the edge of the bowl? Where can explain a lot.
Oops! I just saw your title! Ha ha. Yes, it does sound like the needle valve. How did you verify this not to be the case?
Even with the first time i took it off it was not stuck. knocking it with a handle of a screwdriver didnt do anything either. The bike was not leaking only until now when i tried to start it to charge the battery since i need to drive it to the dealer to get the rear wheel replaced

· Premium Member
1987 rebel 2004 sportster
503 Posts
Something worth noting is that i literally cannot take it to a mechanic as i have no way to tow it
Honestly I think that it has to do with the needle/seat or the float. If you take the carb apart you can gently blow air into the fuel line and see why it is not sealing. Debris on seat, sunk/misaligned float, I am sure that the carb whisperers on the site will have more and better intel:)

· Registered
39 Posts
I also think it's a needle/float issue. You can have a bad needle or sticky float, or crud from your gas tank keeping the needle from sealing. In addition, it sounds like you also have a clogged overflow tube or hose. Btw, (1) make sure gas doesn't flow/leak from petcock in the OFF position (2) if the petcock is working turn it to OFF position when you're not riding (3) be aware that gasoline liquid can ignite and vapor can explode in the presence of a spark, which can happen when you connect your battery charger.

· Registered
2005 Rebel 250
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgot to add an update here: Carb is working fine now, not entirely sure what exactly it was that i did but it works now. i drained the puke tube, routed the tubing where it was actually supposed to go (the tube holder and not right against the engines crank case) and i also manually moved the needle valve up and down via taking the air filter out (ofc when bike wasnt running)

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
Good to hear. But most of the time when a problem like that disappears on its own, it'll tend to reappear too.
But, some of my other motorcycles in the past had similar problems & those never came back. Hopefully you'll have that kind of experience!

· Registered
2005 Rebel 250
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to hear. But most of the time when a problem like that disappears on its own, it'll tend to reappear too.
But, some of my other motorcycles in the past had similar problems & those never came back. Hopefully you'll have that kind of experience!
Welp, im back here. Freshly cleaned carb and new needle valve and its leaking from bowl overflow

· Registered
2005 Rebel 250
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Also when i leave the fuel line on for long enough, it also comes out of the upper port. i also noticed the gasket for the drain screw isnt in the best condition although even when i force it to have a good seal via putting my finger over it, it still leaks

· Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Need that! ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts