Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the problem(s).........Removed engine to do top end overhaul.....put back together today, installed carb, but lost track of where all the carb hoses go! My manual is not clear and shows conflicting hose set ups....maybe different year bikes, also some with charcoal canister......

2004 Rebel 250

Maybe start simple.............vent line from fuel tank.........has tee fitting part way down...........what goes on this tee fitting? Parts diagram says "air filter"...I can't find a line fromt he air filter that goes here.

next area.............manual shows only three hoses coming down to the bottom of the frame and captured by a little clip......

1. Crank case breather separator
2. Air filter box drain
3. Carburetor air line

But........

My carb air line also joines up with the carb bottom drain hose and then there is another hose teed into that...........

I also have fuel tank vent hose.....

So I am ending up with 5 hoses down at the bottom of the frame, but not room in the little clip for more than three or four.........what's up with that?

Cookie

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
OK, here's the problem(s).........Removed engine to do top end overhaul.....put back together today, installed carb, but lost track of where all the carb hoses go! My manual is not clear and shows conflicting hose set ups....maybe different year bikes, also some with charcoal canister......The charcoal cannister is only for California emissions bikes. If you have the Clymer manual, you have to pay close attention to which model they are referencing. You want the information pertaining to the 250 Rebel. Ignore the CM250 information. It's a little confusing because the model number for the Rebel is CMX250.

2004 Rebel 250

Maybe start simple.............vent line from fuel tank.........has tee fitting part way down...........what goes on this tee fitting? Parts diagram says "air filter"...I can't find a line from the air filter that goes here. I didn't want to pull my tank, and with just a flashlight couldn't identify which hose is the fuel vent line. I saw only two hoses from the air filter housing. One is the drain hose, which is towards the back of the housing below the metal clip that holds the air filter in place. The other is the crankcase breather tube. One of the three tubes that should be in that clip is the drain hose that comes off this system.

next area.............manual shows only three hoses coming down to the bottom of the frame and captured by a little clip......

1. Crank case breather separator
2. Air filter box drain
3. Carburetor air line

But........

My carb air line also joines up with the carb bottom drain hose and then there is another hose teed into that...........

I also have fuel tank vent hose.....

So I am ending up with 5 hoses down at the bottom of the frame, but not room in the little clip for more than three or four.........what's up with that? There are only three hoses that go into the clip; the crankcase breather separator (aka puke tube) and two smaller ones. I'm not sure which ones these are, and doubt that it matters since they are basically overflow tubes. You just don't want to have a line that may be venting fuel (tank and carb overflow tubes) where it can hit the hot exhaust! I saw only four hoses on my bike. One hose was routed between the three tubes before they entered the clip. The end of this hose was up against the frame.

Cookie

Good luck.

·
Banned
2,279 Posts
Ok, you are making this all way too complicated. I also have an '04 Rebel. Start here. There is a fuel tank vent hose, that connects to the bottom of the fuel tank, there is a fuel line that goes from the petcock on the tank to the fuel inlet on the carb, there is a carb float bowl vent hose, connected to the left side of the carb just above and forward of where the fuel line connects to, and there is a hose on the carb float bowl drain, right on the very bottom of the carb. That's 4 hoses. The best thing you can do with the 3 besides the fuel line, is to use separate hoses, and route them all so they come out somewhere around the bottom of the engine. I don't even have a hose on the carb drain, because I don't see how it needs one. Get rid of any connectors and fittings. These three hoses are all drain/vent hoses, with one end open. Keep them separate.

Now that thats out of the way, there are 2 more. One is a large diameter, fairly short hose, that connects to a fitting on top of the crankcase just below the carburetor, and the other end connects to a fitting on the front of the airbox. This is the crankcase vent hose. There is one left. It is a short hose with a flat looking fitting on the open end, that connects to a fitting on the bottom of the airbox/filter housing. That is the airbox drain hose.

There shouldn't be any other hoses. If there are, you have a CA model with the charcoal cannister, and anything to do with that, the cannister itself, and any hoses needs to be removed and thrown away. I would save the hoses, they can be used for other things. The CA evap system serves no purpose other than to cause problems. If this doesn't clear everything up, repost with more specific questions, and pictures if possible. Jerry.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK..........what you say all makes sense, mostly anyway.....

It looks to me like I have some hoses for a California canister model yet no canister.

I am known for making a big deal out of the smallest things, just ask my friends!

First I want to say I really appreciate your advice.

I'm going to try to get more specific in a couple of areas. Yeah, I now understand how everything works and I could just run hoses separately and get eveything to operate. This is just more for my own understanding of the way the bike was set up when I got it.

So back to the fuel tank vent line.....It goes to the nipple on the bottom of the fuel tank and runs to somewhere under the frame......maybe not to the little clip under the frame because this might let raw gasoloine drip on the exhaust if the tank is over filled. So I figure I will just let this hose come down between the frame, in the middle somewhere.

What I want to understand about this fuel tank vent line is the little plastic tee fitting about mid way along.

I know I sound pretty dumb as a motorcycle mechanic, but I actually work as an airplane mechanic! lol.........(aircraft maunals are, however, exact in every way, nothing is ever left out or left up to the mechanic to rig up, there is always only one way to do it) .......often in aircraft they will put a fitting mid way along a vent/ drain line..........this is so that if the far end of the vent line gets clogged by ice, dirt, etc, air can still pass into the small opening mid way. I think this is what they did on that fuel tank vent line. The parts drawing has a note on the tee, saying "to air cleaner"........which would be a logical place to connect, but I see no place for connection on the air box.

Another area..........On my bike the crank case vent hose, does not go directly into the air box, it goes inot a small box like thing first. I believe this is an air/oil separator. There is a drain hose on the bottom of this gizmo which goes down to the clip on the bottom of the frame. It has a cap on it, this is where oil and other crap accumulates, and needs to be drained ocasionally,......then there is an additional hose that is a drain for the air box proper.......also goes to the little clip under the frame, this one is to let out water if it some how got into the air box.

Last area.......(sorry to be so long winded)

On my bike the carb air vent line, is "y ed" into the carb bowl drain line. This then runs for about an inch or so, then there is another tee. There is a large hose connected here. It is quite long too. The thin hose continues to the bottom of the frame somewhere, but this thick hose seems like it should make a loop......sort of like the drain trap in your kitchen sink.......

It seems to me that they are trying to always let air into the thick hose for the carb vent, and at the same time let fuel come down the carb bowl drain.

Sorry for making such a simple thing so complicated!

Cookie

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
You might have your hoses backward.:confused: The thick hose is shorter and goes the the bottom with the rest of the hoses. The thin hose is long and makes a loop. The hose that comes off the bottom T-fitting is a long hose. It comes off the "T" toward the left side (port) and loops up and over the carb to come out on the right side (starboard). On the starboard side and top of the carb is a small bracket that only the hose can fit through. The hose comes through the bracket and goes down with the rest of the hoses.

My gas tank vent hose runs down and back from the port side of the tank and then crosses over to the starboard side and goes down with the rest of the hoses. It's on it's own and no other hose connects to it.

I have 4 hoses that come out the bottom. It sounds like you have things correct if I'm reading it right. Except for the hose sizes. :animal0028:

·
Banned
2,279 Posts
My hoses had a couple of T fittings in them to begin with. But while going over the bike, while I had the gas tank off, I took the opportunity to simplify everything. I have a large box of hoses left over from removing emissions crap from many other bikes, and I was able to run all the drain/vent hoses (fuel tank, carb vent, and carb drain) completely separate from each other, with no T fittings. The fuel line obviously goes from the petcock to the carb. It sounds like you have all these hoses figured out. Just eliminate any fittings. Buy some new hose if you need to in order to eliminate the fittings. Doing so makes it so much simpler.

My '04 only has 2 other hoses. The crankcase vent, which goes directly from the top of the crankcase to the front of the airbox. It is not a straight hose, looks more like a pretzel. It was preformed in this shape, and cannot be straightened out. There is nothing between the hose and the airbox on mine. I'll have to find a fiche for a CA model, which may be what you have. The only other hose is, as you said, a simple airbox drain, to drain out any water or oil that might get into the airbox. So it sounds like the only issue here is the crankcase vent hose. I'll check on it and repost. Jerry.

·
Banned
2,279 Posts
I stand corrected. Unless you have even more hoses, it looks like you don't have a CA model after all. It turns out that mine does have this contraption between the cranckcase vent hose and the airbox. I have no idea how I missed it, other than it is kind of hidden behind a frame rail. The parts fiche shows the crankcase vent hose connects to this thing, then this thing plugs into a grommet in the airbox. There is a straight drain hose with a cap on the end of it, that goes straight down from this thing. This device is almost certainly a separator, to prevent oil and moisture from the crankcase vent from entering the airbox. The maintenance schedule calls for removing the plug every so often and draining out anything that may have accumulated in this hose. I removed mine, and there was nothing in it. This is not an emissions device, and I recommend leaving it in place. Sorry about the confusion. Jerry.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,478 Posts
This t is at the top of the dull carbs right in between the two
What version of Rebel do you have?

US version of Rebel 250 doesn't have dual carbs..
The T fittings members were talking about are connected to bowl drain/vent hoses below the single carb.. Circled in Red.
Automotive lighting Bicycle part Automotive design Headlamp Motorcycle accessories

1 - 10 of 10 Posts