Honda Rebel Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,605 Posts
Some members have done it for as long as a week, and that should be long enough to get virtually all the deposits out. I accidently left a acceleration pump cap in Chem Dip for many months, possibly a year or more, just not sure. It was pitted when I finally discovered it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some members have done it for as long as a week, and that should be long enough to get virtually all the deposits out. I accidently left a acceleration pump cap in Chem Dip for many months, possibly a year or more, just not sure. It was pitted when I finally discovered it.
Ty !!!
Instructions say 3-4 hours no longer than over nite but I was sure I’d seen posts where members have gone longer.
oddly I’ve read were folks say don’t expose chem dip to plastic parts
The institutes say plastic safe and it comes with a plastic dipping basket submerged in the gallon container

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ty !!!
Instructions say 3-4 hours no longer than over nite but I was sure I’d seen posts where members have gone longer.
The institutes say plastic safe and it comes with a plastic dipping basket submerged in the gallon container
Instructions !!!!
Stoopid spell check 😂

·
Super Moderator
30,605 Posts
I believe either the plastic in the Chem Dip bucket is designed to be impervious or the Chem Dip formula changed. The basket used to be made of steel. If it will pit cast aluminum, which it did (see my post above), I would think it could damage rubber and plastic. The rubber and plastic parts don't need cleaning, so to be on the safe side, I'd recommend not putting them in Chem Dip. Ignore the instructions about not longer than overnight. Don't think whoever wrote the instructions knows how dirty a Rebel carb can be. Rubber on carb drain screw and air-fuel/pilot screw O-rings, bowl gasket, needle diaphragm, and float valve. I always replace the float valve and bowl gasket when I clean one. Good idea to polish the brass float valve seat while you have it open.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I believe either the plastic in the Chem Dip bucket is designed to be impervious or the Chem Dip formula changed. The basket used to be made of steel. If it will pit cast aluminum, which it did (see my post above), I would think it could damage rubber and plastic. The rubber and plastic parts don't need cleaning, so to be on the safe side, I'd recommend not putting them in Chem Dip. Ignore the instructions about not longer than overnight. Don't think whoever wrote the instructions knows how dirty a Rebel carb can be. Rubber on carb drain screw and air-fuel/pilot screw O-rings, bowl gasket, needle diaphragm, and float valve. I always replace the float valve and bowl gasket when I clean one. Good idea to polish the brass float valve seat while you have it open.
I think composition has changed. One often hears that carb cleaner, mystery oil, chemdip, you name it, is not what it used to be. A part of the blame lies on regulations and of course EPA. Some everyday household chemicals are considered more dangerous now. Silly old kerosene is so much more expensive now.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts