Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my head due to some previous owner damage, Engine ran fine except the head leaked out oil onto the exhaust pipes etc.. anywho, I was wondering if there was an easy way to remove the camshaft so I can just slide the head off? My buddy and I seem to be slightly stumped without tearing the entire engine apart. :D

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
The cam is actually a 2 piece assembly. Take out the bolts in the side of the sprocket and then it will come out leaving the cam chain behind.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Oh yeah i forgot about that. Take the camchain tension off by lifting the wedge mechanism and locking it up with a pin. I used a finish nail for this.. Don't drop it in your crankcase.

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
You should tie a string to your chain just in case it accidentally gets dropped into the case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Already did! I was worried about that actually. I didn't have any tie line but I did have some Coax cable, I just used that haha.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
You should have a small telescopic magnet for fishing magnetic parts out of tight places.. Very handy tool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't know if it's okay to add to a year-old post but this and other great threads on the site have been very, very helpful as I've been doing a similar repair on the cylinder head of my bike and I just wanted to add a word to the wise (from the decidedly unwise). Turns out the camshaft can be put in backwards (left to right) by mistake. I can tell you that the tip-off to this error, once you've buttoned everything up and triumphantly hit the starter, is that in addition to the "sewing machine" sound you're hoping for you'll hear a loud metallic knocking sound in the top end. Much like someone hammering rhythmically on your sewing machine. Good news is it's the sort of sound that causes you to reflexively shut off the motor immediately and doing so seems (fingers crossed) to avert serious damage. Oh, and removing/installing the camshaft goes much quicker the second time you do it in one afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We learn from our mistakes, and those of others. Thanks for educating those who will read this thread and be sure to install it correctly!

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride :thumb:

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
OUCH.... Further word to the wise.. Whenever you reinstall a camshaft in anything, roll the engine over VERY SLOWLY by hand. Stop immediately if you feel metal to metal resistance before you get 2 complete revolutions.
I did this in my BMW once when replacing valve shims and somehow the camchain had moved on the crank sprocket. The crankshaft fetched up hard when a valve touched the piston. Fortunately there was no velocity or force behind it since i was just rolling it over slowly using the rear wheel and 5th gear. After retiming the camshaft all was well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You're all quite kind, thank you. It was one of the threads on the site that helped me suss out my mistake -- talking about the Pac-Man notch on the end of the camshaft. I found mine but on the wrong side of the bike.
Duckster, that's great advice and I'll follow it from now on. I've just replaced bent intake valves because the PO let it sit for a decade and then started it up with no prep. Exactly the velocity and force you avoided.
I'm new to forums so I'll try to figure out how to put my bike info on the signature. Even though I'm on the "other Honda 250" (NH) this site is absolutely the most helpful place on the web. My thanks again.
I'm off to scour the forum for answers to some carb problems. I know it's not on backwards...

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
I'm new to forums so I'll try to figure out how to put my bike info on the signature.
Go to the toolbar towards the top of the page and click on User CP. Look on the left side of the page that comes up and click on edit signature. Be sure to save what you enter for your sig.

What is the engine/carb doing? We don't mind giving advice if it will get you on the road sooner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Flight - thanks for that. Forum Royalty indeed. I've made use of many of your tips from other threads. I tried to add some info to my signature but maybe I didn't save it. I'll try again.
Meanwhile, YES if it's not off topic I'd appreciate any advice. I'm working on a '99 CB250. It has only 350 original miles (closest I'll ever get to a "barn find") but as I mentioned it was left in a garage for a decade then run with original gas and no cleaning. Obviously it quickly died and wasn't running when I got it. I took the carb off, disassembled it and soaked it for a week in mineral spirits. It seemed much cleaner. During that time I found this site and followed the cleaning tips -- small wire, compressed air, etc. Everything except for ultrasonic cleaning and chem-dip. I put the carb back together and, when I finished the cylinder head I tried to fire the bike up. Then a short interlude while I fixed my camshaft mistake...
Result is it will fire quickly and smoothly if I spray a shot of carb cleaner in the intake, but it dies immediately after. No idle with choke on or off, throttle open or shut. The carb is getting gas from the tank (with a filter in-line) and the bowl is filling. The float seems to be working because nothing leaks out the upper drain hose and if I loosen the drain screw the gas flows out the lower hose. I've filled the carb with Sea Foam and let it sit overnight but no joy.
This afternoon I disassembled the carb again. Daylight through all holes in the jets. I searched the site some more and didn't find anyone with my exact problem but from what I read I'm guessing I need a better carb cleaning. Of course, the jets are easy to clean and check but the little passages in the body are tough.
I called around to see if I could find Berryman Chem Dip close by but haven't found it yet. I'm in LA and we have pretty strict VOC laws. Found a couple shops with ultrasonic cleaners but the want $100+ even if with no disassembly/assembly.
Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
You should be able to find ChemDip at any auto parts store or WalMart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Mojorisn, I tried the local parts store today but hadn't thought of Walmart. I checked their website and they only listed 5gal buckets for $200, on-line sale only, but I'll ask at the store too. I'll have more time to hunt this weekend and will check them as well as calling other auto parts stores.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Camshaft Gear Install Question

You're all quite kind, thank you. It was one of the threads on the site that helped me suss out my mistake -- talking about the Pac-Man notch on the end of the camshaft. I found mine but on the wrong side of the bike.
Duckster, that's great advice and I'll follow it from now on. I've just replaced bent intake valves because the PO let it sit for a decade and then started it up with no prep. Exactly the velocity and force you avoided.
I'm new to forums so I'll try to figure out how to put my bike info on the signature. Even though I'm on the "other Honda 250" (NH) this site is absolutely the most helpful place on the web. My thanks again.
I'm off to scour the forum for answers to some carb problems. I know it's not on backwards...
I just bought a 2001 Rebel with 137 miles that had the same problem you described above. It ran when I bought it but not very well at all. I should have checked the compression first but instead I went right for the carb. No luck. Finally figured out low compression meaning bent valves. Well, I have never really had to tear down a motor before so I dug in. What I failed to do was pay attention to the orientation of the timing marks on the cam gear when I originally tore apart the motor. I know they are supposed to be "inline with the top of the head". I am at the point of putting the cam gear and chain back together with the way my marks are the chain always appears to be off like one tooth either direction is seems. Meaning the marks are either angled a little too far forward with the chain in one position or a little too far back if I skip the chain the other direction. Will it matter one way or the other if I can't get the cam gear timing marks exactly in line with the top of the head? I really don't want to have to pull my motor again if I don't choose the correct position. I'm really stumped here and could use some direction please. Sorry for no photos. My build went totally south after making a choice and setting the gear in with the marks as close as I could get them to inline. I really don't remember if it was tilted forward or back as it is now immaterial. I have torque wrench failure while tightening the head bolts and broke one off. I knew I was tightening it too much but my inch pound wrench had failed and wasn't clicking. Luckily I was able to get the bolt out of the case without damage but that meant I did have to remove the jug. So I am waiting to get this cam gear position question answered correctly before I start putting anything back together again. Hoping some of the forum royalty is will to help walk me through this and get me straightened out. Maybe a private message and phone number please so I can totally explain what I am needing to know!. Thanks for any help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts