Honda Rebel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, I WILL say that any steel product that is not sealed immediately upon production will rust to some degree, if only from humidity. It's the nature of steel. Light surface rust is nothing to worry about, it's what you do from that point. Keep it full, or put a sealer on it.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
Depending on how the tank was stored (climate, moisture, etc.), yes, it could form surface rust. I have seen new and NOS tanks at dealerships that had surface rust, which is basically what you have there. I would be concerned with deep rust or pitting, meaning the rust has eaten deep into the metal. Then there could be cause for alarm. IMO, in this case I would just clean the rust out with 'the works' and seal it with Caswells and move on if everything else with the tank seems good (like brackets straight, seam welds good, etc.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, I WILL say that any steel product that is not sealed immediately upon production will rust to some degree, if only from humidity. It's the nature of steel. Light surface rust is nothing to worry about, it's what you do from that point. Keep it full, or put a sealer on it.
Depending on how the tank was stored (climate, moisture, etc.), yes, it could form surface rust. I have seen new and NOS tanks at dealerships that had surface rust, which is basically what you have there. I would be concerned with deep rust or pitting, meaning the rust has eaten deep into the metal. Then there could be cause for alarm. IMO, in this case I would just clean the rust out with 'the works' and seal it with Caswells and move on if everything else with the tank seems good (like brackets straight, seam welds good, etc.)
I was wondering if it might be "normal" to see rust in a new tank. The treatment and sealing option is part of my current internal debate, because I really want a bigger tank. If the guy is even willing to take it back, I would probably be spending $30 on shipping and have nothing. On the other hand, I could spend around $40-ish(?) on treatment supplies and ultimately have a larger tank. I don't have time to do the Caswell's right now, so I am wondering if I can stick a bunch of silica gel packets in there to prevent further rust from forming.

Heck, why they don't just stick a big packet of dessicant in there after manufacturing the tanks?

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
So, there is supposed to be rust inside a new tank? Really? I'd like to find out if OEM tanks come with rust in them. I never said there had been gasoline inside this tank, nor was I saying it was used but I would think that a new tank would not have rust inside. Am I wrong?
No, you are not wrong. New tanks do not have rust in them. I bought my bike new and it had no rust in the tank, fifteen years/36K miles worth of gas later and it still has no rust in the tank.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Perhaps the factory (oem) tanks have a coating already applied that the Chinese tanks don't have??

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
Personally I think with the reputation these Chinese tanks have for leaking after being used for a while your best bet would be to go ahead and use the Caswell on it. You would take care of the current problem as well as any future problems that may pop up otherwise.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Personally I think with the reputation these Chinese tanks have for leaking after being used for a while your best bet would be to go ahead and use the Caswell on it. You would take care of the current problem as well as any future problems that may pop up otherwise.
Here I had this great vision of just taking a couple of hours one evening to have a little fun switching out the tank. Instead it looks like I have a project for later when I have some free time. It's a shame no one makes a bigger aftermarket tank with higher standards of quality.

I'm going to try to put some dessicant inside (in such a way it can easily be retrieved) just to keep it dry until I can do the Caswell's. Thank goodness I have a perfectly good (if slightly dented :whistling:) OEM tank on her and don't actually need this tank.

No, you are not wrong. New tanks do not have rust in them. I bought my bike new and it had no rust in the tank, fifteen years/36K miles worth of gas later and it still has no rust in the tank.
See, I was wondering what other people's experiences are with the tanks. Good to know that the surface rust isn't always present in a new tank.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Leave some negative feedback including the words "new tank arrived with OEM rust inside and seller refuses to exchange it."

·
Registered
83 Posts
Leave some negative feedback including the words "new tank arrived with OEM rust inside and seller refuses to exchange it."
Oh, I am definitely leaving feedback indicating there was rust inside the tank upon receipt just so other people know they should check it inside before using. Too bad I can't include the photographic evidence.

I responded to his message with the photos just to show I'm not lying about rust being in there. I'm a pretty fair and understanding eBayer, and I am always willing to work with people or overlook minor flaws. When I sell something, I inspect it and describe it with as much detail as possible just so people know exactly what they're getting even if it isn't completely perfect.

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
The picture should explain exactly what the situation is. There does seem to be a language barrier. IMO, if you sell in a country, you should be able to communicate clearly in the national language.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Respond to the seller with "item not as described". Send a picture of the old rusty "new" tank. If you do not get satisfaction then file the same thing with Ebay. Once you leave feedback the game is over.

·
Registered
83 Posts
He responded with:

Sorry for the rusted inside the tank. I saw the pictures.
Just refund $20.00 back to your paypal account.I hope you can take that.
Thanks for the advice.

Well, that covers maybe half of the cost of the Caswell kit. I don't know if I am supposed to haggle over what I would think is fair for him to do? I am really not the bargaining type. :frown:

I agree, flitecontrol. His initial response suggested he thought I was accusing him of selling a used tank, when in fact I was accusing him of selling a rusty tank (poor QC procedures in manufacturing). Then again, there are some people who speak perfect English who can't read for comprehension. :nonono:

Oh, I did let him know and sent photos, Mr_keys. I'm debating whether to accept his paltry offer and just try to make it work (I'm wondering if all these larger aftermarket tanks are from the same manufacturer) or fight it through eBay. The time I spend doing that I would rather spend riding or working on my Rebel. Then again, I could have spent that money on something else from my Rebel wish list. :(

I guess, like everything else in life, it's a case of caveat emptor. However, I am going to make sure other people know how this guy operates, especially the other nice folks on this forum. I am also going to definitely leave feedback to warn other eBay buyers they are risking getting a rusty tank if they buy one from him.

·
Registered
625 Posts
There is nothing wrong with that tank new or not. Steel rusts. "All" gas tanks rust in time. 99% or more Rebel gas tanks have at least that amount of rust in them. Take a look at your original. If the seller doesn't offer up a reasonable solution, bolt it on and use it. I wouldn't spend a single dime more on it until I had to. There are countless threads on this site about these chinese tanks and the issues "some" members have had.

We don't make things in the U.S. anymore so we get what we get and like it. We can only blame fellow Americans for this and other product quality problems because American manufacturing being moved "offshore".
Cheap production = larger profit margins.
"Just throw it away and buy another one"
That is the American way :thumb:

·
Registered
83 Posts
We don't make things in the U.S. anymore so we get what we get and like it. We can only blame fellow Americans for this and other product quality problems because American manufacturing being moved "offshore".
Cheap production = larger profit margins.
"Just throw it away and buy another one"
That is the American way :thumb:
That is the very sad truth of it Mojo. My father was a steel mill worker until they started shutting down the mills and laying everyone off in the 80's because production and sourcing was moving to wherever it was cheapest. After that he insisted we buy only "Made In America" in his household and all the family cars were always Ford or Chevy. If I were 25 years younger he'd probably have whipped my behind for buying a Japanese motorcycle. ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
That is the very sad truth of it Mojo. My father was a steel mill worker until they started shutting down the mills and laying everyone off in the 80's because production and sourcing was moving to wherever it was cheapest. After that he insisted we buy only "Made In America" in his household and all the family cars were always Ford or Chevy. If I were 25 years younger he'd probably have whipped my behind for buying a Japanese motorcycle. ;)
Being an American tradesman, it kills me a little bit inside every day. I built industrial heat treating furnaces for the steel industry for 22 years. We all watched it happen and didn't and couldn't do anything.

"NAFTA will create a Giant Sucking Sound" Ross Perot

Laugh now...

I now make $6 dollars less an hour with no benefits package (compared to a full blue cross & blue shield including dental) than I did in 2000. I want to eat and keep a roof over my head, so I do it. I have had no health insurance for 12 years because of the cost. 35 years in this business and I should be able to have less worries getting by. Greed has destroyed this country. It's now the American way. If you didn't get on the train, you got left behind. The gap in classes is maxed and will get worse. But when there are not enough people, skilled enough to build the things they need, it will all come back around. I just don't expect it in my lifetime.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks RebelRedhead for keeping us informed! I hope jml09 makes it right.

I'm going to get one of these in a month or so. I'm planning to buy an unpainted one from jml09. Since he's fairly local to me I'm going to go down and pick it up rather than pay $30 shipping. That way I can also inspect it right there and get one in good shape.

If he will let me, I will take a look at a sample of tanks and let you all know what I find. Hopefully the rust that RebelRedhead got was an anomaly and the other tanks are good. I'll update this thread and let you all know what I find.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
Do you have an address for jm109?
it's been over 10 years since jgrim's post and more than 6 years since he has signed onto the forum..
I doubt you will receive a reply

21 - 40 of 40 Posts