Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm planning to replace my gas tank with an after-market gas tank from Ebay. Mine was badly dented from my crash last sunday.

1. Has anyone dealt with jml09(seller)?
2. The after-market gas tank vents through the gas cap. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thank you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
3.4 gallon tank, I watched a video on line on how to install it, not the issue but my question is how much bigger is it. that tank looked a little big but it did look good. How many more miles does an extra gallon or so give you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
the tank is just wider, not really taller. It is AWESOME having that extra capacity. I can go 230 - 250 miles between fill ups if needed. That extra gallon will get you about 70 miles!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
i got mine from freedomparts09
, before making the purchase we wrote back and forth via email. i believe he is a member here or at one time was. the tank is the 3.7 size, got to me in great shape. it's been on my bike for almost a year with no issues.

i enjoyed our conversations and would buy from him again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would be wary of buying from jml09 on eBay. I just purchased a larger tank from him and picked it up from my UPS box this morning. I was really excited about getting a larger tank. Well I opened it up, admired it and then took the seal off the tank. Lo and behold there was RUST inside! :frown:

Needless to say I'm extremely disappointed, as it is described as "new" and I would think a "new" part should not be rusty. The eBay listing says jml09 does not accept returns. I wrote him indicating my finding upon opening the tank, so we'll see what he says. If he won't take it back and refund my money, I guess I'll attempt a de-rusting/sealing as a winter project with Caswell's.

I'm even more disappointed because I was thinking of getting the pearl white tank/fender/side cover set at a later time to change up the color, but I don't think I could trust this guy now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did xanderp. We'll see what happens, as some of the negative feedback he has indicates the seller was unresponsive to emails. Shipping it back is going to cost a pretty penny, and I think it's unfair to have to pay for shipping on something that was defective. He should really check the tanks before sending them out. If I have to pay for return shipping and then shipping it back to me again, it's almost the cost of the tank. At the very least I'd like enough of a refund that covers the cost of a Caswell's Fuel Tank Sealer kit to treat the rust.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for this information RebelRedHead. I'm about to place my order next week since I will be in Chicago at that time. I will hold-off on my order at this point and will wait for your next update.

Thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Shadow Shack Said he, along with others, have been stuck with shipping charges in similar situations

http://www.hondarebelforum.com/f28/chinese-parts-off-ebay-15036-2.html#post172847

I don't think the buyer should be responsible for any shipping charges in these situations

Good Luck!!
Thanks! I've been limiting searches to US only sellers, but it looks like some US sellers are actually dealing in Chinese parts (the tank label is in Chinese). I wouldn't mind if it was actually in good condition, but I would have to take a lot of time (and about $40 for a Caswell's kit) to repair it.

For things like the air filter (and some parts for my BF's Shadow ACE) I have only been buying the OEM replacements from US sellers. Unfortunately the larger tank option is only an aftermarket part, and it seemed like jml09 had mostly good feedback on the tanks. I am wondering if anyone actually looked inside their tank before using it or leaving feedback.

I have been buying (and selling) on eBay for over ten years, but I have never had a situation where I would feel the urge to leave negative feedback.

·
Registered
83 Posts
thanks for this information RebelRedHead. I'm about to place my order next week since I will be in Chicago at that time. I will hold-off on my order at this point and will wait for your next update.

Thanks a lot!!!
You're welcome! I'd remembered reading this post and thought it might help to mention what's going on with the aftermarket tank I got. It could just be an anomaly, but I think if we share our experiences with eBay sellers it might save some headaches... and money to buy other things for our Rebels. ;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
I did xanderp. We'll see what happens, as some of the negative feedback he has indicates the seller was unresponsive to emails. Shipping it back is going to cost a pretty penny, and I think it's unfair to have to pay for shipping on something that was defective. He should really check the tanks before sending them out. If I have to pay for return shipping and then shipping it back to me again, it's almost the cost of the tank. At the very least I'd like enough of a refund that covers the cost of a Caswell's Fuel Tank Sealer kit to treat the rust.
Very understandable. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thanks RebelRedhead for keeping us informed! I hope jml09 makes it right.

I'm going to get one of these in a month or so. I'm planning to buy an unpainted one from jml09. Since he's fairly local to me I'm going to go down and pick it up rather than pay $30 shipping. That way I can also inspect it right there and get one in good shape.

If he will let me, I will take a look at a sample of tanks and let you all know what I find. Hopefully the rust that RebelRedhead got was an anomaly and the other tanks are good. I'll update this thread and let you all know what I find.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is the response I received from jml09:

The tank you just received is New!Please check my other item for sale. I don't sale any used tank.
Because manufacturers can not use any spray or paint inside the fuel tank.Gasoline will dissolve it.
If such a mixture of substances into the engine,If you are lucky only sometimes dead fire. The worst case, than need to clean up the engine.
The pearl white set they made in April of this year.And this one,you can see the picture,that's before 2011/6/27
There is a very simple way to verify the tank.smell it. If tank ever put into gasoline and without any gasoline.I think you can tell the different.
Gasoline will decompose the rusted.
Let me know if you have any question.
Thank you

My message to him was:

Hello -

I just received my tank and looked inside, and there is rust inside the tank. If this item is new, how can there be rust in the tank? I am very disappointed, as I was very excited about getting a new, larger tank and I was not expecting one with rust inside when the item is described as "new."

I also had intentions of getting the pearl white tank/fender/side cover sets at a later time, but will not due to the potential for rust in the tank.

Sincerely,

Wendy

So, there is supposed to be rust inside a new tank? Really? I'd like to find out if OEM tanks come with rust in them. I never said there had been gasoline inside this tank, nor was I saying it was used but I would think that a new tank would not have rust inside. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you paid with paypal you can file a complaint with ebay. If they side with you they will issue a UPS call tag and pay the return shipping (which means they bill the seller). I just went through this with highway bars for my V Star. Parts were missing to install it, so I worked with ebay. In the end the seller agreed to reimburse me for the cost of my having to order the parts. But, ebay said I could return for a full refund including shipping.

I've been thinking about ordering a replacement tank for my GF's rebel, so I find this thread very interesting and will also hold off on placing an order until you let us know if this seller is going to do the right thing. Maybe let the seller know you posted on this forum.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts