Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I discovered that my left peg was just barely on the bike due to the mount being cracked. This is a 1985 250, so it's p/n 50605-KR3-920 - I've already found out elsewhere on this forum that it's unfortunately not a compatible part with the later bikes - only the 1985-1987 models.

So far my options seem to be:
1. find someone who can weld the part back together
2. buy a welder and fix it myself
3. wait for one to show up on eBay

I don't know who I could take the part to for them to fix it. There's some places I found randomly. What's that gonna run? Like $50?

The price for a new welding setup from Harbor Freight seems to be about $300 after safety gear and tax. It looks like in the past, one sold on eBay for about $50. So somewhere in between $50 and $300? I feel like I could get an entire junked Rebel for that price, which is a drag.

I have no idea how it broke. I suspect perhaps my father-in-law moved my bike to get to my saw and maybe he did something somehow. It doesn't look like it was dropped (well... dropped any more that it already had been...)

Any other options I'm not aware of? I discovered it after I'd ridden somewhere and got home with the help of a friend I happened to be near and judicious use of zip ties.

Could I somehow adapt the newer parts to this older bike? Do the frame mounts line up even?

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
927 Posts
Engineering something to adapt it is always possible. But the holes do not line up in my understanding.
The PO might have crashed and you just didn't know about it until recently.
I know the PO of my 85 apparently crashed the left side of the bike and mine was loose but not cracked. The mounting hole in the front was totally stripped out because of it. I had to weld a hole shut and drill and tap it to get the proper support back.
I know a place near me that has an 86 Rebel that they are parting out. Unfortunately they're only open on Saturdays from 10 to 3 and I have services to attend every Saturday that start at 10:30.
If you want I can PM their information to you website and all.

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
It wasn't your father-in-law LOL - poor guy he gets blamed for everything.

The cheapy HF welder can not fix that for you. You would need at a minimum, a MIG with shielding gas, chamfered and preheating on the forged steel parts to accept weld. Best would be TIG welded by an experienced welder. No one does anything for less than $100 these days - but maybe that price has increased like everything else. The foot peg bracket does show up on ebay occasionally if you're patient but be prepared to pay $100 unless you get very lucky.

If you could find a non-running 1st gen Rebel for $500 +/- you could get your part and get your money back by selling parts - if it has all the unobtainium parts intact and in good order.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The PO might have crashed and you just didn't know about it until recently.
I know the PO of my 85 apparently crashed the left side of the bike and mine was loose but not cracked.
Yeah, I think that is what happened. The bike has been dropped on both sides over it's history prior to me.

It wasn't your father-in-law LOL - poor guy he gets blamed for everything.
Haha! Well he's built a lot of great planter boxes so I'm not blaming him as much as grasping at straws of how this suddenly became an issue.

Best would be TIG welded by an experienced welder.
Ok, well I guess it's good to know this is impossible to fix at home.

less than $100
1st gen Rebel for $500 +/-
So I need to adjust my estimates upwards.

This seems like an Achilles heel for these bikes. One of the nice things about Rebels is that they are perpetually repairable due to the part availability.

In any case, I've lost my means of transportation. Bummer. :(

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
927 Posts
There is a video on YouTube have a guy who lost one of his legs in a collision. He was riding (I think) a Rebel afterwards.
He didn't need the other Peg.

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
that bracket is a complicated part - forged steel near the frame - three plates and 2 posts - one post needs to be aligned within tolerance

the 1gen has multiple heels - don't go ape on your exhaust studs - also side covers

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
imo your best bet would be to remove and take to welder..
there have to be dozens of them in greater Seattle area
I'm amazed your mount would be cracked.
had the bolts loosen on mine which caused it to flex drastically nearly breaking the bolts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am too! It must have been really damaged prior. It is also what supports the kickstand, so once I get the bike up on the rear stand I'll take the part off and show y'all a photo.

Yeah, I just need to find one that can do it. Especially with what Keith/01-7700 is saying about it being kind of a tricky part. I've got to find an actual welder, not just a yahoo with a torch (aka: me).

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
I see 2 or 3 welding programs in Seattle area, they might weld it up for the experience.
worth a phone call.
South Seattle Community College
Seattle Central College
Lake Washington Institute of Technology across Lake Washington from Seattle

a larger list can be found here

the mount is a beast

Nickel Artifact Metal Fashion accessory Bicycle part

typically the shift lever shaft is what breaks off

Bicycle part Grass Nickel Gas Auto part

use care removing bolt that holds shift lever on shaft as it might be seized

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
imo your best bet would be to remove and take to welder..
had the bolts loosen on mine which caused it to flex drastically nearly breaking the bolts
loose bolts are common due to vibration, usually the bolts break or frame threads strip before the mount breaks

even a yahoo with a torch can do this with some prep - AND you get to keep the tools afterwards - it's totally doable

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
at a cost of $600 for the equipment and a few hours of watching youtubes and practicing - i'm always drawn to the diy solution even if it's 10x the cost of hiring it out

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am also drawn to the idea a good reason to build up my welding skills. I did a very small amount about a decade and a half ago with a wire welder and an oxyacetylene set.

My part is broken in a very strange way from what you’d expect.
Safety glove Jaw Sleeve Gesture Grey

Wood Scrub plane Outdoor shoe Sneakers Plane

My theory that this is a crack that eventually rose to the severity of a break is supported by another piece of evidence. One of the bolts holding this piece on is very clearly bent. It came out but no one would have tried to jam a bolt that bent back in. So I suspect the bike was dropped on the left side and it cracked this mount. If you look at the pieces, you can even see that there is a rust pattern suggesting that a portion of the ”interior” was exposed prior to the break. Years later, the part finally failed from flexing of weight on the kickstand and the foot peg.

Thinking back, when I first got this bike, there was a time I had the bike warning up on its kickstand and it fell over while I was in the garage finding my gloves. I think that was on the left side. So maybe was me! Ha!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm... Also, are there supposed to be some type of round cushion where the peg leans up against the bracket? It looks like there is a place for it, and the 2001 I saw on ebay seemed to have some type of cushion.
Purple Plant Toy Wood Audio equipment

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep. My pegs are definitely missing the pads shown here on this '87 right foot peg.
Material property Cable Magenta Bicycle handlebar Electrical wiring

Perhaps the metal-on-metal contact exacerbated or caused other damage over the decades.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
If it is cast a nickel weld would be the best for it. I had to have my damper pulley fixed when it came apart on my other camper one time. I broke down in front of a NAPA store and across the street from a welding shop. Perfect Situation. It was on Grand Island up by Niagara Falls. The welder was a perfectionist when it came to his welds. He said he wouldn't hold it with anything other than a nickel weld because of the extreme vibration in the area.
We were pretty broke at the time but needed a vacation. Both the Napa store and the welder helped out for free!

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
That break will be easier to weld but you'll want to build a jig to hold the parts secure and aligned while welding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I emailed a few parts houses and was able to locate one. Once it arrives I'll re-evaluate my options.

you'll want to build a jig to hold the parts secure and aligned
Definitely. My thought was to use a bolt to hold the "ears" of the bracket in alignment for the foot peg.

looks like gluing on a rubber plug would work in future..
It looks like the newer foot pegs are the same part number as the older ones, suggesting they're interchangeable. If I can "upgrade" to the newer ones, that's a benefit because they're far more available.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the new fit foot pegs are not interchangeable with the first generation. I believe the kickstand attaches to the frame on the first generation & it attaches to the foot peg bracket on the second generation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts