Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1996 honda rebel 250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Finger Vehicle Rim Bumper

hi! i just over tightened my chain tensioner or whatever this is and the screw snapped on me. could i just screw the 2 bolts to the back of the remaining long screw for now until a new bolt comes in? or should i not ride on it? thank you for any comments!!!

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,674 Posts
are you aware the axle nut needs to be loosened before left and right adjusters can be tightened?
By the looks of the axle position you may be able to pull wheel back some and install adjusting and lock nut on what is left of threaded shaft..
Those adjusters not only tighten the chain they adjust rear wheel alignment so that it tracks strait..

·
Super Moderator
32,775 Posts
If you can get all the remnants of the broken bolt out of the tensioner, it can be replaced with the same size bolt as the original. No need to order a complete replacement.

Reactions: dev

·
Registered
1986 Honda Rebel CMX250
13 Posts
I'd wait for new parts to arrive. Luckily, they're pretty inexpensive.

·
Super Moderator
32,775 Posts
I could be mistaken, but it looks like the bolt in the broken adjuster may already be a replacement bolt, judging from the nut on it. That nut isn't shown on the Partzilla illustration. If that's the case, it would be simple to unbolt it and get a longer replacement. Call me cheap (because I am) but for me, a bolt that cost only a dollar or two, and would be just as serviceable as a new part, is preferable to one that would be over $30 with shipping.

• Helpful
Reactions: garicao and dev

·
Registered
1996 honda rebel 250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could be mistaken, but it looks like the bolt in the broken adjuster may already be a replacement bolt, judging from the nut on it. That nut isn't shown on the Partzilla illustration. If that's the case, it would be simple to unbolt it and get a longer replacement. Call me cheap (because I am) but for me, a bolt that cost only a dollar or two, and would be just as serviceable as a new part, is preferable to one that would be over $30 with shipping.
————————
thank u everyone for the responses they’re really helpful! Flitecontrol-> so i can slide out the adjuster from the black metal holder and insert a new bolt through it? that would be very ideal like you said because it would be so cheap. thank you :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts