Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved my bike across state lines by cramming it in the back of a truck with a hard top, in order to do so I had to tilt my handlebars dramatically and leave them down for 8 hours. Now the bike runs fine but the brakes are completely unresponsive. I'm going to bleed the brakes tomorrow (never done it but I've got the manual and some time to kill).

Any suggestions on whether this is the right course of action, ways in which I could prevent dumb mistakes like this in the future (besides the obvious of not pitting it into that type of truck), or any advice on bleeding brakes safely would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Also check to make sure all your connections are solid, cables intact.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You may have drained all the fluid out of the reservoir. (Been there, done that on a different bike......)

Bleeding the front brake on a rebel is pretty much the easiest brake bleed to do. Just be patient with it as the line is full of air, and remember, brake fluid is cheap.

If it seems like you've been pumping a bunch of fluid through and it still feels mushy, try shaking the brake line. Our Ninja was like that. I went through a pint of fluid, but it just wouldn't work right. I took the brake line and shook it back and forth a few times, and wouldn't you know it, here come some bubbles up into the reservoir. Did that several times. Don't know where the air was hiding, but the brake works great now.

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
One trick I've heard of for a soft lever is to tie the brake lever pulled back and leave it at least overnight. Never needed to use it myself, but others tell me it works.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
At times the banjo bolts can harbor air. Loosen them a tad, press the brake lever to get any trapped air out and tighten. Do the same at both ends. Fill the reservour and bleed as normal.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I was going to suggest what flite did, but to PREVENT that from happening while the bike is tilted, then before letting the strap go, stand up the bike, top off you reservoir, and THEN release your lever.

I agree, bleeding the Rebel is one of the easiest. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts