Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to move my seat back a little bit
The only way I can think to do it is to have a metal plate welded on, and mount the springs to the plate
Has anyone does this, or have other ideas on how to mount the springs further back?

The first 2 pics are my current set up
the second 2 show where i would have the plate welded (represented by the cardboard)

I do not have a welder or welding skills, which is why I am looking for different options. I will have someone weld a plate if I have to

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
You can't have a plate that goes across like that because it will interfere with the fender as the suspension articulates.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can't have a plate that goes across like that because it will interfere with the fender as the suspension articulates.
Didn't even consider that :banghead:
Glad someone is thinking

I guess struts would fix that, but I don't want to go that way. I would like to keep the shocks

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
You could make small L brackets that bolt down where your turn signals are mounted.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Contact BCB and see it they will sell you a couple of these. They are part of their seat kit, and mount via the shock bolt and hole you currently have your lights in. These will move your scissor springs mounting holes 4 inches rearward of the shock bolt and already have a nut welded to the bottom for bolting them to. They also have a hole for your turn signals to mount to. About as clean a setup as you can get. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Contact BCB and see it they will sell you a couple of these. They are part of their seat kit, and mount via the shock bolt and hole you currently have your lights in. These will move your scissor springs mounting holes 4 inches rearward of the shock bolt and already have a nut welded to the bottom for bolting them to. They also have a hole for your turn signals to mount to. About as clean a setup as you can get. ;)
Those would be perfect, if they are will to sell them separate

I will contact them tomorrow

If they wont sell them or they are to expensive I will look into Mojo suggestion
You could make small L brackets that bolt down where your turn signals are mounted.
I am 6' 1" and find myself sitting as far back on my seat as I can,
would love to just have a couple more inches

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've gotten separate pieces from them before, but if all else fails, these could probably be copied pretty easy. I'm only 5'7", and I use these and Mapam forward controls. SOOO much more comfortable than the OEM position, which seams to be a perpetual complaint. The real trick would be for someone to come up with a nice clean way of moving the OEM seat rearward/upward while maintaining the OEM fender, even if it meant "modding" a mini pillion seat to fill the remaining gap between the seat and the brake light. Coming up with a slick, clean way to remount the front tongue of the OEM seat would also be a challenge. I've seen a few incarnations, but none that have rocked my world. Sounds like a cool winter project ............ :lol2:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Those would be perfect, if they are will to sell them separate

I will contact them tomorrow

If they wont sell them or they are to expensive I will look into Mojo suggestion

I am 6' 1" and find myself sitting as far back on my seat as I can,
would love to just have a couple more inches

I would be interested in the price of the brackets if they do sell them separately.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally Posted by dencor
Contact BCB and see it they will sell you a couple of these. They are part of their seat kit, and mount via the shock bolt and hole you currently have your lights in. These will move your scissor springs mounting holes 4 inches rearward of the shock bolt and already have a nut welded to the bottom for bolting them to. They also have a hole for your turn signals to mount to. About as clean a setup as you can get.
Well they told me "For liability reasons only we are unable to break up our seat kits. "

Guess I will have to see about making my own, or leaving my bike the way it is

·
Registered
49 Posts
...or a large "C-bracket" like I did, hope the pics would be helpful:

- springer setup with seat moved about 2" backwards:

- springless and fenderless setup:

bracket dimensions (in milimeters):

Attachments

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...or a large "C-bracket" like I did, hope the pics would be helpful:

- springer setup with seat moved about 2" backwards:

- springless and fenderless setup:

bracket dimensions (in milimeters):
Thanks, that idea may work for me also
I would try it with no springs and with the rear fender

Did you make the bracket yourself?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
That C bracket doesn't appear to accomplish what the OP wants to do, ie move rearward. Looks like the nose of the saddle is still right up against tank. :confused:

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Could use a wider c-bracket and not worry about the issue of hitting the fender/tire, also there are different sizes of springer style seats. It does appear to me that JD has moved the back of the seat mounting bolts rearward compared to where the original position would be.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you make the bracket yourself?
almost, since it is made from 3-milimeter thick bar it had to be 'weakened' to make a sharp 90-degree bend possible and then reinforced by welding, I made everything but welding by myself.

DJ's rear fender story is truly a sad one. I was a fan of that fender. :sad:
yeah, this is the story showing that "keep-the-mods-reversible"-idea was so wrong. let us not cry over the spilled milk then - the winter is coming and I am not about to get rid of the bike so many good things may still happen :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts