Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Rebel 250
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This (summer) is AZ's off season lol. As such, my poor Rebel hasn't been started for over a month. So today, I rolled er out and gave the Rebel a much needed wash, cleaning out all the spiderwebs as well.
I turn the petcock on, turn the key.. and nothing, battery is pancaked. No matter, as I just jumped it with a spare car battery I had.

Not even a full second of cranking and it jumps to life, idling as if it just ran 10min prior.

The one good thing about riding in 105°f weather (at 10:00am!), no warm up needed! Ran perfect "cold" today.
Still a blast to ride, even when the road is melted. That's all.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,428 Posts
Yesterday with the temps here around 95°F, I twice slipped a little on the "snakes" of tar that the road department uses to cover cracks in the asphalt. I'm quite aware of them, but it still unnerves me slightly.
Ride safe.

Reactions: Skye1263 and 96B4U

·
Registered
2004 Rebel 250
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yesterday with the temps here around 95°F, I twice slipped a little on the "snakes" of tar that the road department uses to cover cracks in the asphalt. I'm quite aware of them, but it still unnerves me slightly.
Ride safe.
I've never experienced that myself riding, that's good to know! Thanks Emil

·
Registered
2004 Rebel 250
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol, I rode my Rebel today, before I checked the forum. Joined and saw a reply to this from today, interesting coincidence. First time I've fired er' up since I posted this thread too. Too dang hot, or its storming. Makes me sad, though I guess this would be the off season in the southern states and the trade-off for amazing riding weather in the winter.

Reactions: Skye1263

·
Super Moderator
32,563 Posts
I don't recall anyone going down due to tar snakes, but they can cause a bike to wiggle after passing over one. Especially if you didn't see it coming, it can result in spontaneous sphincter contractions. I pass over a grated bridge just about every day I ride. Took me a while to learn not to try and correct by steering. The bike may wander a few inches side to side, but it isn't going to stray very far.

On the other hand, loose gravel, especially over pavement, wet leaves and manhole covers do cause some crashes.

Reactions: Skye1263

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,428 Posts
The snakes have been known to cause crashes, If the road is freshly wet. Emulsions aren't fun to ride on.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Rebel 250
117 Posts
I haven't ridden mine for at least 6 weeks, though I have started and ran it a few times. I keep the carb float bowl drained, and a battery tender connected to it. I had to put a brand new battery in it late last year. I live about 20 miles west of the AZ state line on I-10, just across the Colorado River. It's hot and humid, and there are swarms of mosquitos at night in the summer. It will start cooling down in late September. I would love to move out of here, but I snagged a good paying job, and hate to give it up.

Those mushy tar strips can cause a crash, but unless there are a lot of them close together, they usually don't, because they are so narrow and the wheels roll over them so fast. It seems that whoever maintains the roads don't care anything about motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
More like they don't know anything about motorcycles.
Ignorance means you don't know any better.
Stupidity means you do, and you do it anyway.
Insanity means you keep doing the same thing, and expect a different result.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Rebel 250
117 Posts
Actually they should know by now. I remember reading an article in a motorcycle magazine many years ago where some official from a highway department admitted they had never tested the stuff as far as motorcycles go. Another issue we have here in CA is rain grooves cut into roads. They were also designed for cars. Motorcycles, with much narrower tires, can get stuck in them, and it's like riding on a wavy rail. There have been a few motorcycle crashes that were blamed on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts