Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1985 cmx 250 and honestly it's been annoying me that its bogging down in 4th and 5th gear. Wont go past 55mph and I've given the carb a good 24h soak in chem dip (no plastic or rubber was on it during this), cleaned all rubber parts and they are new or in great shape, all gaskets are there. Fuel filter was cleaned out as well and the jets in carb are new. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please don't post multiple threads on the same issue. As you can see from your other post, folks here are pretty good about responding.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got a 1985 cmx 250 and honestly it's been annoying me that its bogging down in 4th and 5th gear. Wont go past 55mph and I've given the carb a good 24h soak in chem dip (no plastic or rubber was on it during this), cleaned all rubber parts and they are new or in great shape, all gaskets are there. Fuel filter was cleaned out as well and the jets in carb are new. Any ideas?
It sounds like fuel deficiency you should reach 70 easily. Firstly assure the O rings are properly fitted in the carb assembly, sucking air will effect performance. The float level should not normally require any special attention however on a 35 year old bike anything could have been altered. There are not too many issues that will cause the conditions you have mentioned except a lean condition. Also on the opposite end of the scale confirm your choke is fully off. I have owned my bike for 25 years and the first ten years it ran with about 1/3 choke on and I didn't know it. I had it in the shop for an unrelated issue and the tech tole me that my choke was partly on. I hadn't noticed any thing different because I bought it off the show room floor that way. I had immediately brought it back because the idle was somewhat unsettled the tech at the time attempted to readjust the idle and was unsuccessful and commented "well that is just the way it is". It ran that way for 10 years and I was getting about 60 miles per tank full, I thought all was normal. After 10 years of ownership and after the carb fuel management was corrected back to normal ie no choke, the performance increased substantially and I got double the fuel economy. Prior to the final adjustment the bike would start up smartly with no choke applied (although it was on 1/3 and I didn't it) this was for the first 10 years. Every thing seemed normal to me, after the choke was adjusted back to normal (off) starting required 1/2-3/4 choke to start this was new to me after 10 years of never using it. I completed a major internal clean up with new rings and now it starts and runs like new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts