Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Oklahoma, newbie here as of yesterday. Glad I found this forum! Really interesting so far, had no idea the Rebel had such a following! Just bought mine this weekend, my first bike in 34 years, haven't ridden since I was 16....the ride home after buying it was a hair - raising experience but fun to be riding again. I backed off my instinct to get one of the larger mid sized cruisers I was looking at and thought the entry level Rebel a smarter choice. Problem is, I'm 6'2" and 275....this is how if feel riding it :

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,180 Posts
Welcome. Good decision on the Rebel. Have you taken a basic riding course? Even if you rode before, you'll learn a lot if you enroll in one.

Some of the things I recall larger riders doing to their Rebels to make them more comfortable. 1. Rotate handlebars up some, being sure not to overtighten the bars in the clamps. The rubber clamp bases are designed to help reduce vibration. 2. Move the seat up and/or back. Do a tag search for seat mods to find the many threads dealing with this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! The handlebars actually feel really good to me. My problem is I have a lot of trouble finding the footpegs when I take off. They are to high and too far back for me....
I am enrolling in A MSF course today to get my motorcycle endorsement back on my license. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only one they have apparently is $249 and includes a heel/toe shifter. Is that my only option? Is that what you have?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see some floorboards without the shifter /brake on eBay from China... But it looks like the left one would surely interfere with using the stock shifter.... Stuck.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I have both types, the heel/toe shift looks cool, but my latest set is without. The set I bought with heel/toe shift came from MCEnterprises, not Jacks. The set from Jacks, he makes his own. So you might be able to inquire if he can get you a set without heel/toe shift, it's a little cheaper.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, just talked with him, he's gonna hook me up 👍
Do you have any clearance issues with the stock shifter when wearing boots with the floorboards? Jack said they sit about 1-1/2" lower than the pegs but that sometimes boots are an issue. I wear boots with big /high toes too....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Welcome to the forum RandyOK. If you look up in the right hand corner next to the log in area, you'll see "User CP." Click and enter the year and model of your Reb. That information will then be automatically added to your replies and posts. This helps others answer questions and direct you to issues specific to your Rebel. Stay safe and have fun! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually (I'm using the app) when I go into my user CP there is no place to put my bike info. Just email, username, password, privacy and messaging options. I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Guba, another question about the foot boards you recommended I buy from Jack (which I did)... The jerk of a local dealer told me today after I brought my bike in for several accessory installations that they "couldn't make them fit, and frankly they are dangerous anyway", so they didn't install them. I don't know what the hell I'm doing mechanically, but I got mad when I got home, and went out to the garage and had one installed in about 10 minutes.... So they obviously just didn't want to mess with it, even charging $80 labor an hour!
Is there any reason you could imagine those wouldn't be safe?? Yes they stick out more, but I'm not dirt track racing all leaned over, so I don't know what they are talking about... Said something about them coming loose since there's no spline in there.... I just tightened the hell out of it and am using a lockwasher.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I haven't had any issues with Jacks floorboards! However, if you do lean in a tight turn they will scrape the pavement. Both Jacks and MCEnterprises will scrape in a tight turn, it just scares you into going upright. Both those boards will flex up when they hit the pavement, so just stay in your turn! The bike will stay on it's wheels leaning hard, more than the floorboards clearance from the road. The stock pegs can even rub without the bike going down, but I've not leaned my bike that hard.

Which brings me to the local MC dealer. My local dealer screwed me over too, which is why I now do ALL my own maintenance! The Reb uses few tools, but it does need some specialized tools for more specialized jobs. I think the Rebel is clearly within your own mechanical abilities, but perhaps you just need to push the envelope a bit to find out. There's plenty of info on this board on nearly every subject about your bike and then some!

·
Super Moderator
29,180 Posts
There seems to be an inordinate number of idiots that work in stealerships. :eek2::nonono:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Amen to that, brother.... This dealership has their idiot quota filled and then some. Asked them to install floorboards, not done. Asked them to locate oil leak from bottom of crankcase, not done. Asked them to rotate handlebars up for more clearance, not done.... And as icing on the cake, I got a nail in my tire sidewall coming out of this jackasses lot. GRRRR! ALL I got was a $50 bill for an oil and filter change with 1.5 quarts of oil...

·
Super Moderator
29,180 Posts
I'll provide the oil, blinker fluid, and throw in a transmission fluid change for only $25. What a deal. Bad advice is extra.

BTW, unless they replaced the air filter, there was no filter change.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts