Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 rebel 250

Hey guys I posted about this at the beginning of the summer and am still having issues.

New battery, stator, plugs/wires

If I turn the key to the on position the battery drains FAST. If I start it it still drains. If I hold the throttle open it'll charge a bit but not like it should. Something is up.

Finally I took it to a bike mechanic. They say the stator was installed incorrectly and are working on a quote. It's been a little while so I don't recall the procedure but how could I have installed it wrong? Doesn't it just plug in? I'm also sceptical because it drains so fast even with the motor off (key in the on position).

What do you all recommend I do? They're supposed to call tomorrow to figure out if I want to get the stator fixed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You can not fit the stator incorrectly. That's BS.
So either your 'mechanic' has nu clou what he's doing, or you better get ready for a good old fashioned rip off.

If your battery drains that fast, I suspect you have a short some were, which is not fused. That can only be the Voltage regulator in my humble opinion.

How original is your wiring loom ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought. I mean it just plugs in, how could I mess that up?

I'm sure the wiring is original.

I thought of the regulator but the battery drain happens even with the motor off (key on) so wouldn't that rule the regulator out??

I told them I believe it to be a short somewhere but I don't know.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My voltage regulator died on me last month. It definitely happens. My regulator fried itself along with the battery because the ground wire running from the negative battery terminal to the engine case wiggled loose somehow. Battery wouldn't keep a charge after that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I finally called the mechanic again (since they can't seem to contact me). They said when I put the new stator in the wires were in contact with the rotor and got ruined.

So now I'm waiting on the quote to replace the stator again. Once that is done they said they can start trying to find the real issue... I'm just not sure how much I should be willing to spend on this bike

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
Brace yourself, having a shop do the repairs usually isn't cheap. Since they told you what was wrong when you installed it (assuming they are correct), do you think you could do it correctly now?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya Im sure I could do it myself, it was easy last time. Problem is I'm not really sure what they mean by the wires were touching the rotor. What is the rotor in there? I bet if I took it apart it would be obvious though...

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
The rotor is the metal housing that rotates around the stator, creating electrical current. IIRC, the picture you posted earlier showed what looked like contact between the stationary stator and rotor.

Reactions: Xxkenny90xx

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ya Im sure I could do it myself, it was easy last time. Problem is I'm not really sure what they mean by the wires were touching the rotor. What is the rotor in there? I bet if I took it apart it would be obvious though...

There are three yellow wires coming out the stator. They are 'tied up' by a small bracket to avoid contact (shorting out) on the rotor/flywheel. To me, it sounds you did something wrong there and it still happened, shortening stuff out and burning the parts connected to it.

It doesn't mean the stator is gone to heaven though. I would solder new wires on it and test it first before looking for another one. But hey, I have handy hands and a fully equipped workshop.....

I also have good stators in stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts