Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years ago, in removing the right-hand side cover at this time of year, the securing post broke off. With advice from FliteControl and others, I was able to repair the post using gel super glue, and it has held well. However, today when I removed the cover again, in order to bring the battery inside for the winter, the same post cracked off again, probably breaking in exactly the same position. I was drawing the cover straight out towards me, with no twist or angle.

I will repair the post in the same way, and hope that will work well again (fingers crossed), but I'd like to do what I can to avoid the same breakages in the future. I'm thinking that with the cooler weather, the rubber donut in to which the post fits is perhaps becoming harder, and not releasing the post properly. Should I replace the donuts with new ones from Honda parts, or are there universal replacements available, or is there anything - like maybe silicone grease that would keep all my existing donuts working well/better?

Will appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2003 rebel 2004 sportster
78 Posts
I have had the same problem in the past. I put a metal dowel(a nail with the head cut off)into the pin then used 2-part epoxy. I also put a little Vaseline on the rubber donuts. One post that i repaired was broken at the base and i put a stainless screw through the cover to hold the post. If all else fails eBay often will have the covers for around $30.

·
Super Moderator
31,147 Posts
Just thinking out loud here, but the next time this happens to me, think I'll try reinforcing the post with some aluminum I have from old signs. Will probably attach it to the cover with fiberglass matting and epoxy. Lubricating the grommets sounds like a good idea too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Do you think that the Vaseline helped the rubber donuts at all? Good to know that idea wasn't completely off the wall. Aside from the apparent quality and fit issues with the ebay covers, my Rebel is 2005 candy orange, which is "not easy to find". I did order a pair of chrome-plated covers, but after waiting months, the Chinese supplier eventually admitted they didn't have any and couldn't get any. Anyway, I'd prefer to stay with the original look if possible.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just thinking out loud here, but the next time this happens to me, think I'll try reinforcing the post with some aluminum I have from old signs. Will probably attach it to the cover with fiberglass matting and epoxy. Lubricating the grommets sounds like a good idea too.
Thanks, Flite! I'm not at all unhappy with the performance of the previous repair, just think that for some reason it was just too difficult to pull. It was the front post of the battery cover that fits in to the donut on the bike. It broke (both times) right at the cover, in fact taking some of the cover material with it, so I don't think the post itself has been a problem, but I may try some matting and epoxy around the base.

Have you ever had occasion to use any rubber lubricant on a bike? My mind immediately leapt to Vaseline, but I just looked it up now, and found that "Vaseline or other petroleum products should never be used on rubber or neoprene objects. It can deteriorate the rubber or neoprene very rapidly. The correct lube to use is a silicone based lubricant, which comes with or without Teflon." The rubber lubricants that I saw before when I was looking were like $20 or $30 a small tube. But if that's what it takes, and maybe that's good for other component n the bike also, it's probably worth it.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,609 Posts
You can also use vegetable based oils and they will not destroy the rubber. Crisco is an example.

Reactions: markwilliamson

·
Super Moderator
31,147 Posts
Silicone based grease, such as dielectric grease (available at auto parts stores) is safe for rubber, and shouldn't degrade as quickly as natural oils. A 3 ounce tube is less than $10, and should last a very long time. NEW Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube | eBay

I use it on the bike's bullet connectors to prevent corrosion.

·
Registered
2004 Rebel 250
130 Posts
Silicone based grease, such as dielectric grease
Same, I use it for everything. Works well on rubber seals too.
Plus, in my owners manual, GM actually specs silicone dielectric grease to keep the weatherstripping maintained.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks, Flite! I'm not at all unhappy with the performance of the previous repair, just think that for some reason it was just too difficult to pull. It was the front post of the battery cover that fits in to the donut on the bike. It broke (both times) right at the cover, in fact taking some of the cover material with it, so I don't think the post itself has been a problem, but I may try some matting and epoxy around the base.

Have you ever had occasion to use any rubber lubricant on a bike? My mind immediately leapt to Vaseline, but I just looked it up now, and found that "Vaseline or other petroleum products should never be used on rubber or neoprene objects. It can deteriorate the rubber or neoprene very rapidly. The correct lube to use is a silicone based lubricant, which comes with or without Teflon." The rubber lubricants that I saw before when I was looking were like $20 or $30 a small tube. But if that's what it takes, and maybe that's good for other component n the bike also, it's probably worth it.
I've had mine Break but I used Gorilla glue to Repair it. I brought it in the House and let it Dry for 3 days before I reinstalled it and I used some MB Green Bearing grease that I had in my Toolbox that I used to lube the Battery box studs and rubber with and so far I've had the cover off Several times with No Problems. That's my 1cent input

1 - 9 of 9 Posts