Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Rebel with about 600 miles on odometer.

Lately, after riding, I have been connecting the Rebel's battery to a trickle charger.

The trickle charger is a fairly advanced model. It runs diagnostics and displays charge level of the battery.

Immediately after riding, the trickle charger is showing the Rebel's battery at 25% capacity. After about 5 minutes, it bumps to 50%, then 75% after 30 minutes or so, and 100% after an hour or two of trickle charging. (The battery charge status is shown in 25% increments.)

I would have thought the battery would have a good solid charge after 60-90 minutes of riding. But the trickle charger seems to suggest it is losing charge while riding.

Thoughts/comments?

Super Moderator
I wouldn't be concerned about that. The charger has a higher top voltage than the motorcycles charging system via the regulator. Also, 25% refers to the length of the charge cycle not the battery capacity. A battery at 25% capacity wouldn't start the engine.

Registered
I don't use a trickle charger at all. My gel cell batteries always came out of winter hibernation just fine. Yausa brand. Just saying. Trying the lithium batteries now, they are still holding out just great.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't be concerned about that. The charger has a higher top voltage than the motorcycles charging system via the regulator. Also, 25% refers to the length of the charge cycle not the battery capacity. A battery at 25% capacity wouldn't start the engine.
Okay, thanks for that feedback. Makes sense.

I don't use a trickle charger at all. My gel cell batteries always came out of winter hibernation just fine. Yausa brand. Just saying. Trying the lithium batteries now, they are still holding out just great.
The bike is only one year old (sold new as a left over in July 2000-eighteen), so I'm still on the OEM battery. I don't know much about it, but believe it's a sealed lead acid battery. I'm hoping it's good for a few years anyway.

Using the trickle charge is easy with permanently installed battery leads. It's a simple matter of connecting the plugs together. Takes about 10 seconds.

Registered
Your bike has a gel cell battery then. I wouldn't use the trickle charger. The "old" batteries can be trained to go dead by charging up all the time. Those were water/acid types. Gel cells don't need trickle charge.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Honda puts Yuasa AGM batteries in Rebels.
That's good. I'm not a fan of gel batteries. Their acceptance rate is lower (takes longer to fully charge) and they have less reserve capacity for a given weight than AGM batteries. Voltage needs to be regulated carefully, too - - whereas AGMs are fine with the higher voltage used on traditional wet-cells.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts