Honda Rebel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Left side oil seal would be my only real beef. Other bikes have the decency to spit extra oil out the air filters; this one blows out an oil seal. Not only that, the engineers designed it that way, even including a weep hole so the oil could escape when it happens.
It would be much worse if the weep hole wasn't there and the oil filled the left side cavity without giving any outward sign that the seal has failed. The first evidence of a problem would be seizure of the engine.

I don't believe Honda intended this seal to blow out since it becomes a pretty dangerous crisis when it happens. Aside from the loss of oil overboard you have the potential for it to get on the rear tire with very negative results. They did want a normal seal failure to be evident as soon as there is any leakage as indicated by the inclusion of the weep hole.
My guess is that the problem arises because of a weak crankcase vent system design. Perhaps the hose is too small, or the passage from the crankcase can become choked with oil too easily. The 360 degree crankshaft design results in a lot of air pumpage in the crankcase vent system which adds to the normal piston blowby gas that escapes through this system.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
must be doing Something right, still in production, right?

Reactions: maggimia56

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
must be doing Something right, still in production, right?
Yep, and still the only bike I have ever heard of that blows oil seals right out of the crankcase on a regular basis.

Reactions: cagie

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
Well I just can't bash the little jewel. Had too much fun on it, with it. Just didn't fit my true love of touring. Now my other half rides with me a lot, something she would never do on any other bike. If I ever get myself fully retired I will probably get another to carry on the back of the RV...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Honda rebel... The best economic bike ever produced? I do believe I will vote in favor. Any nay sayers can just not say nay.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I can't really think of anything bad aside from uncomfy seat...The bike has limitations to be sure, but for a beginner it is nimble and somewhat forgiving..

·
Registered
186 Posts
I wish it had as much power as a crf250 ofcourse look at the awesomeness. Dohc 4 valves in that single cylinder 249cc unlike the missleading rebel being 233, pgfi liquid cooled.. The cmx250c is a great reliable motor but after all of these decades it would be nice if honda modified the cmx250 a lil more. Also the gears are really close together i should be having to switch to 5th untill atleast 55 mph but i guess this motors low torque and hp motor couldnt move well with farther gearing or maybe honda thought the average maximum weight would be around a 200 lbs rider. Some one 135 lbs like me hell the rebel doesnt even know im on it if it had farther gears or even a 6th gear it would have no problem gettin me highway speed i just hade having to go almost wide open just to get to 65 70 mph but i guess ill live untill i can get enough money for a harley ^^ even with its fault the rebel is an awesome lil b7ke and i love it

·
Registered
71 Posts
You all have done mentioned anything I would say as 'cons' to my machine.
My biggest 'beef' would have to be too cramped a position to ride comfortably for any distance. I have to take breaks every 30-45 minutes. I need to put some forward controls on my bike, I would likely enjoy it more then.

Still, I am big fan of the Rebel. Most of the maintenance it requires is relatively cheap. I like a small bike anyway (heaven forbid but should I drop it, even my disabled shell can pick it up by my self), and let's face it, the Rebel is a sexy machine.

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I can't really think of anything bad aside from uncomfy seat...
I do hereby declare an official moniker for the stock Rebel seat:

TyrannoSORE-ASS Rex.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This thread reminds me of a lot of threads that I used to read on the Miata forum. I used to belong to that forum when I owned a 99 miata that I traded in for my 2015 Rebel last year. The car like the Rebel, had many fans, but there were many amoung those fans that were always complaining about the cars lack of power, image ( girley and fag car ) and arguements between the generations as to which one was better. I think in the end everyone agreed to disagree. :D

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Wind that sucker up...

I wish it had as much power as a crf250 ofcourse look at the awesomeness. Dohc 4 valves in that single cylinder 249cc unlike the missleading rebel being 233, pgfi liquid cooled.. The cmx250c is a great reliable motor but after all of these decades it would be nice if honda modified the cmx250 a lil more. Also the gears are really close together i should be having to switch to 5th untill atleast 55 mph but i guess this motors low torque and hp motor couldnt move well with farther gearing or maybe honda thought the average maximum weight would be around a 200 lbs rider. Some one 135 lbs like me hell the rebel doesnt even know im on it if it had farther gears or even a 6th gear it would have no problem gettin me highway speed i just hade having to go almost wide open just to get to 65 70 mph but i guess ill live untill i can get enough money for a harley ^^ even with its fault the rebel is an awesome lil b7ke and i love it
Sounds like you are shifting TOO soon. Look at the speedo...it shows you can hold 3rd gear all the way up to 55mph. I weigh about 50lbs more than you, same bike, about the same mileage...I get up to speed easily.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sounds like you are shifting TOO soon. Look at the speedo...it shows you can hold 3rd gear all the way up to 55mph. I weigh about 50lbs more than you, same bike, about the same mileage...I get up to speed easily.
i get up to speed very quickly too. im just saying that the cmx250 compared to the crf250 honda really could give this motor some more power with the more modern tech. i guess its all the best though from what ive heard this is a very reliable motor and always has been hence the lack of changes to it. the whole "why fix what aint broke" type thing but it would be nice to have the power of some of the more modern 250's might raise the rebels price by 3k though

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i get up to speed very quickly too. im just saying that the cmx250 compared to the crf250 honda really could give this motor some more power with the more modern tech. i guess its all the best though from what ive heard this is a very reliable motor and always has been hence the lack of changes to it. the whole "why fix what aint broke" type thing but it would be nice to have the power of some of the more modern 250's might raise the rebels price by 3k though
Maybe a little squirt of Nikuss Oxhide would do the trick.....lol

Reactions: Nephets

·
Registered
75 Posts
I spent the first two years of ownership wishing the bike was more powerfull. I tried several things to improve performance before learning that it was impossible. I also learned that this bike probably saved me from a few accidents because it was not over powered. Now I am cruising the back roads of Virginia Mountains, where the turns and hills seldom allows speeds exceeding 55 mph. The Honda Rebel motorcycle handles like a dream and takes everything I through at it including the gravel roads. It is my light cruiser and it fills the bill perfectly. I also get plenty of compliments and people are always surprised when they learn that it is only 250cc and over 30 years old (I have the 1985 model).

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I was reminded of another aspect today...if you happen to still be braking as you lean into a right turn, the road can serve to push the rear brake pedal back up/release the back brake. ;)

Reactions: Bokobob

·
Registered
22 Posts
My Rebel 450 is an awesome bike...but...
cramped riding position makes long haul tiresome
the lack of an oil cooler makes spirited riding in hot weather risky
lack of power, a CB450T has the same engine and 20% more power!?

other than those niggles I love my bike

Will

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Seat was a torture device so I had Rich's Custom Saddle rebuild it for me. I've done several 500 mile days on it with no problems.

Range. Oh how I wish it had a larger fuel tank. 200 mile range would be nice. I know, I know, there are aftermarket tanks out there....

I won't complain about the lack of power...it IS a 250, after all. If I want to go faster or climb hills like a scalded cat, I have other bikes that will do that.

And I'm going to replace the stock shocks with something a little beefier. I really like riding the dirt backroads (USFS roads), but sometimes they can be a little bone jarring.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Can't bash, only whine

I restored it for urban crusing but alas ended up in the high desert. It is killer for city driving a pain in the butt up here with seemingly never ending winds, up to 50mph gusts. No curves cept my driveway:frown2:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Great pic..... Reminds me of my Ducati ride across the southwest hoping for a gas station before the next horizon..:lol2:

21 - 40 of 49 Posts