Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
With such a low seat one would need a 26" inseam or less for a mid-glide footpeg...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Has no body done this? I would love to move my foot controls back some too. Heck I’m use to feet close to the seat. I or many many miles on a skate park bmx bike.

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Nobody has done this, probably for the reason I mentioned above. In short you would need midget legs to utilize such pegs comfortably, with the trade off being no longer reaching the ground when you come to a stop. ;)

·
Banned
767 Posts
Not only that, but there is the matter of pushing it around or duckwalking it. I have a Sportster with mid controls, and am constantly hitting my legs on the pegs.

Reactions: kryton

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
The Rebel's ultra low seat height necessitates the forward feet position in order to allow non-contortionists to get their butt on the seat and their feet on the pegs. If you want mid or rear-set footpegs you should look at a non-cruiser style bike with a higher seat.

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
While I won't debate the usefulness of mid-controls, the simple fact is the Rebel has a 26" seat and 6" of ground clearance. With pegs being located higher off the ground than the lowest point of that 6" worth of clearance, you're looking at less than 18" of space between the seat and peg. Actually, considering how the exhaust jogs under the seat, you probably have less than 15" to work with. If you divide a 30" inseam that translates to 15" of thigh and 15" of shin...so you're already cramping far more than needed at less than 15" between the seat and peg.

That's some serious leg folding, more so on a bike that despite having forward controls is actually much closer to mid control stance for anyone with 30" or more of inseam (which offers me a 90º leg bend). Think about it: with such inseams your knees are already near the top of the tank, and you actually want to fold your shins further back from that point...?

Stock stance for me (according to http://cycle-ergo.com/)

Stance on a bike with forward controls that are actually further forward than my knees:

Photoshop of what my legs would look like with mid-controls (never mind rear sets):

I'm too old to start learning the joys of becoming a contortionist, and even if I was young I STILL wouldn't find any appeal in that stance.

:D

Reactions: Nardospark

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for all info.
I still would like to find a way. If keep bike Long enough I’ll rig something. If I do I’ll be sure to post it.
I ride when outta town with feet on rear pegs. Not smart I know but I don’t mind it so much and my legs are very use riding bent knees like this.

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
There's a way: longer rear shocks & forks for additional ground clearance so you can use these:

http://www.streetfightersinc.com/images/GSGFootPegLowerKit.jpg

That drops the pegs down closer to the ground, and in order to prevent them from scraping the ground early in a lean (compared to stock peg locations) you have to lift the bike accordingly.

Then of course you raise the seat up higher to open up more room. Then it will resemble something akin to comfort sans contortion.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If you can do upholstery, add about 1 inch of cork to the seat pan and restack the foam and custom make a new seat cover, that would help with the legs.
its not clear from the first post pic where you want the controls, but I think you will have a devil of a time working out a linkage for the shifter and the rear brake with your feet position right against the studs for them...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Raise the seat.

Because of budget restraints, I'm pretty much stuck with my '09 Rebel, which is the most uncomfortable bike I've ever owned. I'm more or less OK with the forward controls, but the low seat is a literal PiTA. I'm working on a simple mod to raise the seat and see if that helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oh I wouldn’t want the the controls lowered (closer to the ground) I would want them farther back (towards the rear wheel) kinda close to where the pass pegs are.
You can do it. Just have to be crafty. Like a example. First buells come to mind. Hd didn’t make it where foot pegs went behind the motor. But Eric buell made it where he put the pegs where he wanted them and did what he had to for the foot controls
I’ll find a pic and load it.

·
Banned
767 Posts
I have a 34" inseam. On longer rides on the Rebel, I often put my feet on the passenger pegs for a while at the time.

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Oh I wouldn’t want the the controls lowered (closer to the ground) I would want them farther back (towards the rear wheel) kinda close to where the pass pegs are.
I'm not suggesting ONLY lowering the pegs closer to the ground, I suggested to do that IN CONJUNCTION with raising the suspension.

Then you can move them back as well. But like I initially said: 30 inch legs with less than 15" of space to work with unless you do something drastic like I suggested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts