Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was some pretty nice weather, so I had to ride somewhere! As always I had to make a restaurant my destination. Arthur Treachers is a restaurant chain that started back in the 60's. A sea food chain who's main competition was Long John Silvers in this area. The food offered was British style Fish and Chips primarily, at least that's what we always got when I was a kid. There were over 800 stores at one point, so a pretty successful launching. Today there are only 7 stores left! 3 happen to be in northeast Ohio! The food is pretty tasty, which had me wondering why the decline in stores. Turns out it was because of the Cod wars, which drove the price of cod up to twice of what it used to be. In today's world, I know that the cod fisheries are being over fished and there is concern of the sustainability. Hopefully the 7 remaining stores won't fish cod to extinction.

So I made a 75 mile round trip to Akron for a taste that brought me back to my childhood. It still tastes as good...

·
Super Moderator
3,768 Posts
Good times. My once a year food trip is for a fried clam platter on the coast of Maine. It's only 30 miles away so not too big a trip. I think the health food movement also had something to do with the decline of the fried fish chains.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts