Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So... I was contemplating putting higher bars on my rebel for a while and I was disappointed to find very few pictures of rebels with apes, especially ones that had the stock back fender.

Well, I put 'em on and they are amazing. I started this thread to hopefully help others wondering if they want to put them on.

First off, I ordered 12" mini apes off of amazon. They came in about 3 days and I got to work.

I soon took all the stuff off the old bars and mounted up the new ones.

There are only 4 motorcycle shops in my town. I first stopped by the shop that i bought the Rebel from and they had no cables in stock at all.:huh:
Then I went to the local HD shop because they have a pretty big used parts area and I thought I could fab something up. Strangely, all the cables there were still too short. Then I went to the Honda dealer in town and they too had no cables in stock (which really blew my mind.)

They recommended me to our FLIBS that I had never heard of. Of course the guy working there was super friendly and I found all the cables I needed and even some mini turnsignals for the front. All of the cables were pretty dang close to what I needed. The throttle pull needed some of the housing cut away and the clutch cable is just about maxed out, but it works just like before. I lengthened all the cables with 16ga wire and butt-splices.

It all took about 4 hours and was so worth it.

Here are some pics

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gyro, I knew someone would catch me as I uploaded the pictures. I have one up now. I'm just too slow:lol2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't it hard on the bike to lay it down like that?
Yeah, Yeah.

I always get tricked with these pictures because they're taken with my phone and my mac automatically turns them upright but HRF doesn't when you upload. I'll get around to reuploading soon.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Sharp!

I was disappointed to find very few pictures of rebels with apes, especially ones that had the stock back fender.
You must not have looked very hard, I've certainly posted enough pics of mine. ;)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah, Yeah.

I always get tricked with these pictures because they're taken with my phone and my mac automatically turns them upright but HRF doesn't when you upload. I'll get around to reuploading soon.
When you take a photo with your phone, do a screenshot of said photo and sync that version to your Mac. You can further reduce the size by converting it from .png to.jpeg. Then it will post in the right position.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sharp!

You must not have looked very hard, I've certainly posted enough pics of mine. ;)
Actually, yours was one of the very few I saw. I wasn't planning on raking my fork, but it did give me a good idea. I am going to take some more pictures today and put them up. This time with the right orientation.

Next for me is a new seat and that may seal the deal.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Don't sweat the pic, I have a laptop so it was easy for me to view it. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Did you drill the holes for your switch housing locating pins?

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Nice, love the side view.

Now you just need a set of boss mirrors to complete the look. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you drill the holes for your switch housing locating pins?
No, I indended to, but once I screwed everything down, I don't have any play in them. If I really wanted to turn them I could, but I don't really want to now do I?;) I've since made some more mods. Flipped the cluster, took off the speedo (which will be replaced) and added mirrors and Air intake, a few other things like a headlight visor really set it off. I put some pics up on my profile. Hopefully all like.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Without the locating holes drilled or removing the pin, the throttle housing can get skewed a bit and cause the throttle sleeve to bind on the handlebars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Without the locating holes drilled or removing the pin, the throttle housing can get skewed a bit and cause the throttle sleeve to bind on the handlebars.
See now, I did remove the pins. I guess I didn't realize that was the follow on question. I have them sitting in the pile-o-parts I have amassed since this bike began. Any thing special I need to know if I get around to drilling them?

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Nope, that's it. Drill the holes or remove the pins, either way allows the housing to fit flush with the new bars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts